I am looking for a herding dog for my sheep. Are there any working dogs for adoption or just house dogs?

I have 30 or so sheep and need help with them I was looking for a partner to help me with this task. I didn't know whether anyone knew of a trained herding dog that needed a home. It would be an outside dog with shelter. It would get plenty of love and be able to do what he loves, herd.

Asked by Member 403547 on Feb 14th 2008 in Shelters & Rescue

Answers

Dudley

I'm not sure if you'll find an already trained dog but you'll surely find some sweet dog willing to learn on petfinder.com

Dudley answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's very unlikely that you will find a trained herding dog at the shelter or rescue. In this situation, I'd suggest that you buy from a reputable breeder. One that either already has a trained herding dog for sale. Some herding breeds for sheep are: Collie, Border Collie (NOT THE SAME AS A COLLIE!!!), Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie), and German Shepherd. Of course, you could also find one of these breed in shelter and train it yourself, but I doubt that you will want to go through that.

Miss Buddie

Maybe you could contact someone who trains herding dogs.

Alternatively, you could adopt a herding dog and train it yourself. Miss Buddie is an ACD and they were bred specifically for herding. She herds her toys and the other animals in our house all the time.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Riley

Actually some rescues DO test their herding dogs for herding ability and you could find a dog that's already experienced. Check out petfinder, but also google for some herding breed rescues like for border collies or aussies.

A lot of rescues have their dogs involved with herding or agility so you can have a leg up with adopting one of these dogs. You can also check your local shelter but would probably have to judge for yourself about the dog's drive. Herding is pretty instinctual in these breeds so it might not be a question of training but a question of how much drive the dog has and learning how to communicate with the dog.

Good luck on your search! I know there are lots of border collie and aussie rescues out there. Australian cattle dogs are another option but are built for herding cattle not sheep.

Riley answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Marlowe, CGC

You're going to have to go the breed rescue (as opposed to shelter or pound) route on this one I think. You *may* find a trained herder in rescue if you look hard and are not picky as to breed. You'll have to do a lot of calling, a lot of getting on waiting lists, a lot of leg work.

I know someone who does border collie rescue and in general if the dogs she gets were any good at herding and free of other behavior problems, they wouldn't be there. But you may be able to find a working herder who is just down on his or her luck and lost their owner and is in rescue.

You should also know that while herding is an instinct in the herding breeds, there still needs to be extensive training, for both you and the dog. Otherwise you'll just have a dog that chases your sheep around but no way to tell the dog to take the stock to this place or that place or bring them in or go grab that straggler, etc....

Marlowe, CGC answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mattie

If you go to www.petfinder.com you can ask your local border collie resue or other rescue group (cant give u exact because I dont know your location) for the abilities for a specific dog some people may not put the dogs herding abbilities on the individual bio so you can e-mail them to ask GOOD LUCK!!

Mattie answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily

Your question made ne smile. Sasha was Australian Cattle Dog(Heeler)/Australian Shepherd also known as a Texas Heeler. She had been tied to a fence for the 1st 22 months of her life and still had to be taught not to heel my grandchildren and me. It definitely was inborn, which is not to say she would have known how to heel sheep correctly without a lot of training. The dogs are out there, lots on Petfinder, but is training available in your area?

Lily answered on 2/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

hi i have 2 collie puppies well they are 7 months old one bitch and 1 dog the bitch is very eager to learn and has already started working the cattle the boy is a bit more resived i am selling them both for £100 each .