I am interested in the mountain cur. I wanted to know how they are aaround children. I have two grandkids,4 and 3.

I want to be sure they are ok around kids. The one I feel in love with, was not raised around children. If I get one it will be.

Asked by Member 737416 on Sep 16th 2008 Tagged mountaincurandchildren in Dogs & Kids

Answers

Any dog is okay around kids as long as you make it that way. If you allow your dog and children to co-exist, they will both be comfortable with one another. It is important that the children are not allowed to harass or over obsess about the puppy, or dog if you choose to go that route. Make them involved in daily chores, helping feed, walk, etc. Making them a leader to the dog will keep your dog's respect for them, as well as you. In your dog's perspective, your children and grandchildren should be seen as the same authority figure as you are - there should be no difference. If you teach the children to respect the dog and help care for it, then the dog will only do the same back. Please message me if you have questions or need help in introducing your dog to your family, etc. I'd be happy to help.

Zack

I'm not very familiar with this breed, but I saw several Mountain Curs on Dogster that had pictures with small children and cats in them.

As long as the dog is taught how to behave around children, and the children know how to behave around a dog, you should be fine. I would suggest a puppy or young dog, if you need to train it. If you get an older dog, I would recommend one that has lived with children before.

Zack answered on 9/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sadie

First and foremost, curs are hunting dogs. They have an incredible prey drive and high energy. Many need to be hunted to have the best quality of life. Are you prepared for that kind of commitment? And will your grand children be ready to respect that? At 4 and 3 they are still small physically and still learning socially how to act around dogs. In my experience that isn't the best combination for any cur breed. However, since I assume they don't live with you and wouldn't be around the dog all the time, it could work as long as you did a lot of training (both the dog and the kids) and never left them unsupervised. Curs are incredibly intelligent and can learn pretty much anything you try to teach them.

Sadie answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Beloved

Most curs tend to be gentle around small children and very protective. I know mine immediately calms down and is very careful around babies and small children, though you have to watch him closely around older children. By 8, he doesn't realize that even though they're bigger, they're still not strong enough to wrestle with him. Patience-wise, he's been pulled, yankes, tugged, and bitten all over and has never reacted in violence. He's play bitten back, but only ever with me, and it was clearly in fun.

Mountain curs are very strong dogs and that has been the only problem I've ever faced. If you follow the general rule of 'Never leave a dog unattended with children' you should have no issues whatsoever.

Beloved answered on 4/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ruby

My mountain cur, Ruby, is a sweet intelligent loyal dog that is easy to care for and obedient. All dogs need training to be the best companions. I would strongly suggest a female.

Ruby answered on 9/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer