I am highly allergic to dogs, are jack russell terrier/pug mix hypo-allergenic dogs?

Asked by Member 1037110 on Jun 12th 2011 in Allergies

Answers

Jackieo

I am allergic to dogs but not highly but i have a jack russell and whenever she likes me i turn pinkish redish but i am not completly sure .....

Jackieo answered on 6/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Afraid not. But I will include a link below to dogs which are less likely to trigger allergies.

After that it's down to testing yourself with each potential dog to see if you start getting stuffy and watery. Most people will have a reaction in a few minutes of close contact.

dogs.about.com
www.dogguide.net
www.dogbreedinfo.com

Good luck finding a freind.

Petri

Pugs definitely shed, so you probably want to stay away from any mixed breed containing pug. Check out a Yorkie! They are small, playful, and don't shed at all.

Petri answered on 6/14/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zack

Each person's allergies are different. No matter which dog you choose, you should spend some time with it before agreeing to take it home for good, to test your reaction to that individual. I know some people with allergies who do fine with Pugs, and others who can not even be in the same house with one. And some people do okay with one individual of a breed, but can't be near others of the same breed.

Pugs can shed a lot - JRTs, if not wire-haired, probably do too. If you tend to have strong reactions to dogs with their type of coat, I would look for something else. Neither breed is really considered "hypo-allergenic."

You also need to decide for yourself how far you are willing to go for your dog. Are you willing to take allergy medicine? Get allergy shots? Vacuum daily? Groom/bathe your dog regularly? All of those things will also determine which types/breeds of dogs are possible for you.

Good Luck!

Zack answered on 6/15/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer