Jackson

I am having some serious trouble housebreaking my puppy...

I have had my pup for almost three weeks and I have been trying my best to house break him. he is about 10 weeks now and can sleep through the night without having to go outside. I take him out when he wakes up at 8 and then usually every two hours I take him outside where 90% of the time he pees, but he is STILL going inside I never scold him unless I catch him in the act but its not working. He is a shepherd husky so he isn't going to be a small dog and I dont want to use those pee pads because then he will think its okay to go inside. should I maybe keep him on his leash so I can keep an eye on him? I have tried putting him in the crate when I get busy but he cries and wont let up. I have to get him used to the crate so that he can be left alone during the day any ideas on how to stop his crying as well?

Asked by Jackson on Feb 18th 2009 Tagged housebreaking, puppy in Behavior & Training

Answers

Praise and reward him for going outside. The reward can be anything from a treat to playtime, but it has to be something that he really enjoys.

Do keep in mind that even housetrained dogs have accidents inside sometimes. Do your best to recognize his "I need to go out" signals.

Bandit

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. Just keep at it. Bandit didn't fully get it that he was supposed to go outside till he was a year! Don't use the pads I think they just train a dog it is ok to go inside like you said. If you do decide to crate him he isn't going to like it but they do get used to it over time. Besides that he probably just needs to get a little older and time will help.

Bandit answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Make sure you are taking him out every hour. A puppy can hold it, in hours, half the number it is in age. So he is about two months old, and he can hold it for about an hour. Taking him out as often as you can will help and will show him where he needs to go potty. Take him out after each meal, after drinking water, after waking up from naps, etc. The more you take him outside, the better. Also, watch him when he is wandering around your home. Don't let him go places you won't be able to know what he's doing. If he starts sniffing, pick him up and take him outside.

Is he good about going potty outside? I teach all of my puppies 'go potty'. I place them in the grass, and tell them 'go potty'. If they don't, or they try to walk toward me, I tell them 'no', place them back in the grass and tell them 'go potty'. I repeat this until they finally do go, and then I praise them, get so excited, and often offer them treats. They will realize what 'go potty' means, and also that they get rewarded for going potty outside.

How often are you feeding him? At his age, he should be eating three times a day. This will also help you regulate when he needs to go out, and will get you on more of a schedule.

Ok, time to relax and remind yourself that you've only had this guy only 3 weeks. Only 3 weeks and he is just an itty bitty baby @ 10 weeks. Don't put so much pressure on yourself and him.
Try taking him out every hour if you can. If not every hour then every hour and a half, but increase the amount of times you take him out.
He is a cross of two wickedly smart breeds. Your dog will totally catch on to the potty training thing, no doubt about it, but he is a baby, come on. Please lower your expectations of him at this age and just continue taking him out every hour and when he goes, just praise, praise, praise him.
If he associates anything negative, even scolding, to peeing, he won't be the best student. When he pees inside, just scoop him up, or take him by his leash and gently lead him outside to finish his business. Don't say anything, just make it clear to him that when he's outside that he has to "go potty".
He'll get it. Please be patient with him.

He's too young to completely housebreak. At 10 weeks he has to go out every hour. At least 1/2 hr. after eating and drinking amounts of water.
He will potty alot and cry alot he is a baby.
You can make outside a 3x3 ft of sawdust or straw. You can find that at a pet store spread on ground about 2 inches thick. Place him in circle and when he goes praise and pet. Go to that spot every day and in a few months you should see improvements.

Kayak

Be patient with it. Having a new puppy is like having a baby almost. At ten weeks he is barely old enough to be able to actually "hold" it. I would start taking him out every hour. I have found great success with that. It seems like a daunting unforgiving task, but you'll notice in a few months that he will catch on.
As for the crying in the crate. Ignore it and wait till a moment where he is quiet and then take him out. If you take him out when he whines it is only going to teach him in his doggie head "Hmmm I whine I get out.
He is a cute puppy good luck with him.

Kayak answered on 2/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer