I am going on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks, do not want to board dog-16 yrs old, would it be awful to have a pet care servic

I am going on vacation for 2 1/2 weks, do not want to board dog, 16 yrs old, would it be awful to have in home care 2x's a day to walk and check on dog and dog would be alone most of day and night, my dog is used to blue pads for urine in house, so that is not an issue.

Asked by Member 1001397 on Aug 21st 2010 Tagged vacation, doghomealone in U.S. Midwest

Answers

actally if i went 21/2 weeks and didnt bring my dog and didnt have a babysitter take care of him , i would bring my dog, if i had a babysitter sit my dog then he/she might still the dog or even hurt it... i would bring it along with me if i were you

Brutus

You may want to find someone to stay with him most of the day. We have our friend/neighbor stay with our dog's overnight, and she is only gone for a a few hours a day, so the dogs are getting some alone time, but also have someone to stay with them for a while. Your making the right choice of keeping him at home. Boarding a 16yr old dog can be stressful for them, especially if they are closely bonded with their owner.

Twice a day wouldn't be enough. Try to find someone who is willing to spend more time with him at your own house so that he is more comfortable. Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Brutus answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If your dog is used to being alone during the day, I feel it would be MUCH nicer for her to stay in her own home and have a pet care person come twice a day. Anything else would most likely add to her stress. I own a boarding kennel and we have on occasion boarded older dogs in our kennel but it is way harder on them (and, on us, too, since we worry sooo much!)
Since she is used to using piddle pads anyway, the visit would be mostly checking on her and taking her out for a walk. If they have any problems, make sure you have a number where you can be contacted.
I think it's an excellent choice for her!!

Gaston

I am a professional pet sitter and two visits a day is what my clients usually book. I usually stay alittle longer on a few visits when parents are away for an extended time. If you are using a pet sitter you could also schedule a mid-day visit every other day or have your sitter spend the night a couple of times or you could ask a neighbor to visit once a day to play, but let the professional be responsible for feeding and medications. Please make sure your sitter knows the name, phone number and what time the neighbor would be in the house that way she could schedule around them. Hope this helps and I hope you have a great vacation.

Gaston answered on 8/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer