i am getting a dog jack russel terrier she is 3 years old i have two cats what do i do

Asked by Member 937693 on Jan 11th 2010 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

My question to you....is this JR used to and friendly towards cats?
Even if you were told he is, introduce through a gate and NEVER leave unattended for any reason.
I had a babygate up to our rec room for months so the cat had a peaceful place to go and Deogie was not allowed to go anywhere near her.
Good luck to you.

I agree with Deogie!!! If this JR isn't good with cats you may want to rethink your choice or at the least make sure the cats have a safe haven. if he's good with cats then still give the cats a safe haven, but you may be able to have them in the same area (the gate is a great suggestion for introductions and even after)! Hope all works out for you

I agree with the other posters. You really need to know how this dog is around cats before bringing him home. Terriers were bred to chase and catch vermin and he might see your cats at just that. He could chase them and kill them.
On the flip side, your cats might Hate having an intruder in the home and they might start "getting even" by not using the litter box. They might start peeing and pooping anywhere.
But then again, it may work out fine! Just be aware of potential problems.

Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC

I have a JRT/Beagle mix who is fine with my cats, but I have had fosters that jsut plain torture them. I have a baby gate up to block off one room that's just for them- keeps them safe, and keeps the dogs out of their food and litter box. Jacks can be really bad with non-canine pets, they are a terrier, after all. I would definitely crate the dog when not supervised, and at night, so that the cats can have some safe time.

Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC answered on 4/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer