I am adapting a 3 month old basset/lab mix. I work from 8:30 am - 7:00 PM. I will walk the puppy before and after. Ca

Asked by Member 1136649 on Oct 19th 2012 in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

That's an awful long time for a dog to wait to go out. I would hire a dog walker to come in at least once a day while your at work.

Why adopt a puppy now when you have no time for it? He won't have much control over his pottying while you are at work till he is at least 5 months. They usually have to go out every hour or so. He will need consistency. It could set him back a good bit in potty training. I would wait till you have time to dedicate to a puppy or you could get a dog from a shelter that is already trained.

Smokey

3-4 hours is the absolute max that a puppy that age can go between potty breaks. At that age, he would also be likely to chew everything he sees, and so you'd have to keep him in a crate or pen. It is very bad for puppies to be alone that much. That's the age where they need to be learning the rules of the house, doggy social skills like bite inhibition, how to invite a dog to play, how to ask for space, etc. They also need to be exposed to new and different environments- dogs are very prone to developing a fear of things they haven't been exposed to as puppies. You just can't adequately socialize a puppy if he's alone for 10.5 hours a day. Most importantly, he will be miserable. Although a lot of adult dogs are okay being left for a few hours or during the workday, puppies HATE being alone. It scares them and makes them thing they've done something wrong. Unless you are going to send him to daycare every workday, it would be very unfair to adopt him.

Smokey answered on 10/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer