Tiki

I am 12 wks old & need my 2nd round of shots.Is it ok for my mom to buy the vaccines at Tractor Supply and give at hm?

Well puppy exam is the only time I have been to the Vet. The 1st round of shots and deworm were from Tractor Supply and I did great. I have no medical issues, I eat well (Blue Buffalo) and my potty is normal.

Asked by Tiki on Jan 30th 2012 Tagged ndroundvaccines in Puppies

Answers

Maggie

should be fine if you know what you're doing- if you've never given a shot before, watch some tutorials (many available on the internet) because those vaccines from the feed store don't come with a lot of instructions, they kind of assume you know what you're doing. Use the shot right away after you purchase it, and keep the label and receipt for proof, you might need it later.

If you have any doubt about your ability to hold a wiggling puppy and jab him in exactly the right spot without freaking out, let the vet do it.

Maggie answered on 1/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Do you have any idea how to treat anaphylactic shock? This is what happens when a dog has a severe allergic reaction to the vaccine.
Of course it may not happen, but, if it does, do you have access to epinepherine and other drugs such as IV diuretics necessary to save the pups life.
It happened to my thirteen week old Frenchie pup who was getting her second vaccine, and trust me, had she not been already at the veterinarians (getting her shot), she would have died before I could have transported her from my house to the vets office. As it was, it was 24 hours before we even knew if she was going to survive.
The risk of allergic reaction increases with each vaccine given so you may or may not still be safe. She wasn't.
To me, the few bucks saved are not worth my pups life, but if you are prepared to handle this or other emergencies that may arise from a reaction to the vaccine, go for it.

Kazba

You can, I used to do this myself until one time the dog had a reaction to the shot. It ended up costing me more then if i had it done at the vet. Sometimes those shots you can buy there have been there a long time and can cause a reaction in the dog. I guess if you are careful and check how old the shot is you will be safe.

Kazba answered on 2/1/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer