I adopted two 9 weeks lab,guessing same littermate sisters.They keep fighting n biting.Is it normal?will they continue?

I am so frustrated of my two puppies fighting and biting all the time. I am first time dog owner. They two are lab mix female litter mate. I heard they are large breed? Will they continue the same? How would I control them from biting and fighting? Please help. I love them so much can't see any of them getting hurt by other one.

Asked by Member 1107340 on Apr 23rd 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Koby

First you should google Labrador Retrievers on the internet and learn more about the breed. They are a hunting dog with lots of energy. Second, after they've had all there puppy shots, enroll them in puppy classes. It is very normal for puppies to bite and play rough when they play. It teaches them boundaries, socialization and bite inhibition. Since you are a first time dog owner, classes are the way to go. You will have your hands full with 2 puppies to raise. One rule of thumb I use is.....a tired puppy is a well behaved puppy. So, playing and exercise are going to be very important. Get a few books and read about what to expect while owning a puppy (or 2 dogs). Stanley Coren has a few that are easy reads. Good Luck!

Koby answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Bella

It is normal just as long as they don't hurt each other.

Bella answered on 4/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If they are just puppies. That is how they play. I have a puppy and he plays very rough with my three year old. I would watch them to make sure it does not get out of hand. Also the idea if giving them something else to do to help tire them out was a good idea. Long walks or toys can help. If it gets to bad. Classes may be needed it may not be a bad idea anyway just to help with training

Callie (Calliope)

My 14 month old GSP plays wonderfully with all dogs except one of her litter mates that my friend owns. We got them together thinking they'd be great friends. They've gotten better but still chase and attach one another. It's better now that they've lost the sharp baby teeth. I've been told same sex litter mates fight more but I don't know how true that is. Not sure this helping you. Sorry.

Callie (Calliope) answered on 4/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer