How worried should I be about my child getting worms from our puppy?

My 11 week old GSD pup has tapeworms & hookworms & has been treated by the vet as of today, although he has to go back for another round of treatments in 3 weeks. How worried should I be that my 16 month old may get worms? I try not to let her play in the yard even though I clean up after him when he poops cuz its a bit difficult to clean poop off of grass. But im worried he may lick himself & then lick her b4 I can stop him or that she may pet him near his rear & then put her hand in her mouth or something. Or that there may be worms or eggs on the carpet or floor & she touches that. I'm super stressed over this. I try not to let him lick her & I try to keep her hands & the house clean, but I'm terrified it won't be enough. The worms in his stool seem to be dead but he was severely infested. Even I can see that. How likely is it that my baby could get them?

Asked by Member 1078843 on Dec 20th 2011 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

SNEAKERS

The only Zoonotic Worm that I'm aware of is the Ringworm. But, all of your precautions are reasonable during an infection. The only thing you don't need to do is worry so much. ;-)

SNEAKERS answered on 12/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

First of all, ringworm is a fungus infection, NOT a worm. And, both roundworm and hookworms CAN infect humans, but it doesn't happen often.
You are safe with the tapeworms as they do require an outside host (the flea) in order to develop from eggs to worms so your little one won't get them from contact with just the segments in the stool.
Hookworm in humans usually occurs by the larvae penetrating the skin, normally the soles of the feet, again the actual worm eggs found in the stool will not develop into a worm if ingested by a human... they need to be in larvae stage and enter the skin that way. By keeping feces picked up and not allowing your toddler to play in that area will certainly lessen the chances to an acceptable risk.
Round worms CAN develop in humans by ingesting the eggs from the stool. BUT, since you didn't mention your dog having roundworms you are pretty safe there.
It sounds like you are doing fine with the measures you are now taking!

Toto nailed it.

Just a reminder, get your dog on flea preventative if he isn't already, because dogs get tapeworms from fleas, like Toto said.