how will i know when my dog is ready to have her puppies

Asked by Member 557655 on Jan 13th 2008 in Pregnancy

Best Answer

Well if you were a truly knowledegable person who was a decent breeder, you would have researched and found the answer to this question yourself before you bred the dog.

I'm going to make myself believe that you have done the proper health testing such as OFA hip & elbow scans, a heart scan, and an eye exam. Which I hope you already know- that is what makes a good breeder. The outcome of these tests will determine the health of the puppies- maybe even making them more valuable if you hadn't done the testing.

Typical signs of labor are "nesting" behaviors one to two hours before birth, loss of appetite a couple of hours before, heavy panting, and an unwillingness to leave the house or "her den".

Please do lots of research on whelping puppies right now, you will need it. This is a good page to start out with:

www.k9web.com

Good luck with those puppies. Please spay your dog after this breeding to prevent the despairing overpopulation.

answered on Jan 13th.

Answers

I totally agree with Joey. Also, since you don't know much about this, I'd suggest having her at the vet's while she is having them. Bring her there a few days before her puppies are due I'd suggest. When a dog starts going in labor, they're temperature will go down a couple of degrees. If you don't want to take her to the vet's, prepare a "whelping box". It should be big enough for her to move around comfortably, but not too big. The sides should be tall enough for her to go in and out at will but keep the puppies inside. Have plenty of blankets inside, and keep lots of towels on top of them until she is done giving birth. Since you will not know what to do, leave her alone while she is having her puppies, but watch her closly (you may need to stay up all night). If you see anything that looks unnoraml (such as a breech birth, which is where the puppy comes out tail first), call the vet and he will tell you what to do.

Kobe

check her temperature. Once temperature drops you will usually have puppies in 24-48 hours.

Kobe answered on 1/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer