Tigger

how to teach a deaf puppy

Asked by Tigger on Feb 23rd 2009 in Commands

Answers

You'll have to use hand and/or touch signals. Touch signals is where you touch the dog in a certain place as a command, such as touching his lower back to ask him to sit.
Never have him off-leash in an open area as you won't be able to call him back.

Let me tell you a secret I uncovered quite by accident.

I had to have jaw surgery - both jaws sawed loose from my skull, realigned & wired shut for 6 weeks. So, I’m thinking resuming training with my dog is going to be a problem, right? Wrong, she didn’t miss a beat.

Apparently she’d been paying more attention to my hands anyway & with this new revelation I decided to teach her some sign language I just happened to know. She mastered it beautifully. In fact, she was the best trained dog I ever had.

The only thing I can see that might set you back is getting or keeping your dog’s attention. Use touch and floor vibration.

Since working with deafness is more revolutionary in the human world, I’d talk to people who work with the hearing impaired. Also, those who work with deafness in humans are easier to find. They can give you wonderful insight.

Kudos for your willingness to work with this dog instead of discarding it, that alone tells me you’ll do fine! Good luck!

Maybe for recall...
I saw a shock collar once that also had a vibration setting. While I wouldn't advocate using the shock, maybe you could set a vibration setting and treat her for paying attention to you when you vibrate it.
Otherwise, Bam-Bam was trained with hand signals and words. When we were still in training, we were able to go through almost an entire CGC practice using all hand signals, and he did beautifully. I worked with a friends dog the other day, treatless, and had the dog sitting, laying, and relaxing all using hand signals. Dogs are very smart! Good luck!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 2/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Quinndred Spirit

Well my sister has got a deaf dog and we have worked out a few ways of getting her attention. Do you have wooden or concrete flooring in your house? Wierd question right? Well if you have wooden ~ try this. Tap the floor with your foot you should hopefully get the attention of your puppy. If you dont put a lead on your puppy and as you tap the floor gently tug on the lead. Paws crossed your dog will look around at you. Then teach it the commands that you want to use. Use this website for the basic commands
www.ehow.com 13674_ teach-deaf-dog.html

You have got yourself a gorgeous lil dog and working together your going to have a very strong relationship and a partner for life:)

Quinndred Spirit answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer