Crybaby Walker

How to take care of 5 week old puppies?

I was set to adopt 3 pups. One for myself, one for my boyfriend (who lives with me), and my mom&dad. We got a call a month early that the puppies needed to go to their new homes early because the mom dried up, abandoned them (for the most part), and they were eating dry food.

So now I have these tiny, yet adorable pups to care for. Any advice on how much/how often to feed them, how to make sure they are properly socialized (we also have a 6 month old dog), and any training that we can start early on.

Right now, I have already got them housetrained. They are eating 1/2 c of Purina puppy food a day.

EDIT: I feed Purina because I am in a SMALLLLLLLL town, and it was what I thought was best. I will look up what may be better!

Asked by Crybaby Walker on Jul 29th 2010 Tagged puppies, week, little, care in Puppies

Answers

Sprite

I am sure a lot of people on Dogster can give you great tips for caring for the puppies. I myself am not too experienced in that area, but I would just like to suggest one thing - perhaps you could reconsider feeding Purina? It's not the best food. It's all up to you, but if you go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com they have extremely accurate reviews of almost every pet food available.

Sprite answered on 7/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buckeye

Purina reccomends that puppies 1 1/2 to 3 months on Puppy Chow need 1/3 to 1 cup, probably 2 or 3 times a day. I hope you do look up some better dog food brands. I could give you some suggestions if you'd like to me to.

What else are you wanting to know about the puppies? I will Paw mail you so you can ask me if you need any questions answered. I am, just like Sprite, not a complete expert on this, but I do have knowledge about caring for puppies, such as methods, suggestions, etc.

Good luck.

Buckeye answered on 7/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The most important thing is to keep them together so they learn as much as possible about bite inhibition, interactive play and normal give and take. They need to eat four small meals a day at this point. Chose a good puppy food and stick to that brand. Feed them what they will eat in about 10 minutes. I add warm water as I think it is easier on their systems. Feed in separate dishes, and each in a crate is ideal. Take a stool sample into your vet to have it checked for roundworms as most pups have roundworms and they will seriously affect their overall condition and health. Watch them carefully with the six month old... they can overwhelm him in a big hurry and he may snap and injure them. They are old enough to learn crate training, but only for short periods... they are not old enough to stay in a crate all night long and sadly, many pups learn to be dirty in a crate when they are forced to stay in one too long before they have proper bladder and bowel control. out of space!

I agree 100% with Pinki. I would keep them together too until the are ready to be weaned and head off to their new homes. That would be around 8-11 weeks.
good luck.

Porter

I know this is kind of an older question, but for those of you (like me) that have a young puppy (too early) it's been hard to find any sort of information about how to properly care for young puppies. I found these two articles from the ASPCA to be helpful: www.aspca.org and www.aspca.org

Of course there is no substitute for speaking with an actual veterinarian- but thought this might help someone out there. :)

Porter answered on 7/27/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer