how to stop your puppy from biting at eight wks>

she gets into this growling and aggressive attitude
and will bite at this time help please is a cocker
spaniel.

Asked by Member 1155204 on Feb 14th 2013 Tagged biting in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chase

She's 8 weeks old. She's not aggressive she just doesn't know that biting isn't acceptable to do with you. She played that way with her brothers and sisters, and she just wants to play with you.
When she nips or bites at you just ignore her. Not "Ignore it and keep playing" but stop playing with her. When we adopted Chase at 10 months she was a serious biter and what worked for us was to remove her from us. She was older so putting her outside for twenty minutes wasn't a big deal.
But if you're playing just give her something she's supposed to bite and ignore her for ten minutes. Soon she'll learn that "OH. When I do this the friend beast stops playing with me. I should stop doing that."

Chase answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Good advice from Chase, but 10 minutes is WAY too long at that age to ignore. One minute is about the max for that age. Any longer & the association is not made between bite=no play.
I use the yelp technique. When teeth hit skin, Yelp LOUDLY, then ignore for a minute. Redirect to appropriate chew toy & tons of praise for chewing on toys, not people.