How to stop submissive piddling?

We adopted a rescue dog in December. She is about 15 months old now. She is a Beagle mix. She piddles ALL the time, we say hi to her from across the room, she squats and piddles. I sit by her crate, & call her to put her in so I can leave, and where ever she, is bed, sofa, where ever she piddles a path all the way across the room. This morning she piddled about 20 times! I have had her outside about 8 times in the last hour . We have a bell that she is supposed to ring, to go outside to potty, and last week she was doing an OK job at it. Now she only rings it when she wants to play. We also have a chihuahua, we've had her just over a year, she is only a few months older than the beagle. The Chihuahua rings the bell, & pottys ONLY outside. I don't get the piddling. I don't know how to teach her to stop. I have 2 kids, and we DONT hit. Could it be she was abused before we got her? How do we fix this? I don't want pee all over my house, but I want to keep our new dog. Help please?? Thx :D

Asked by Member 803521 on Feb 12th 2009 Tagged piddling, submissive, training, howto in House Soiling

Answers

Miss Buddie

You're right that this is a submissive behavior. Realize that this sweet girl is still in pretty new surroundings and she's trying to establish herself in the hierarchy of your house.

Buddie was a piddler too. The vet suggested to us that we don't acknowledge her at first when we come home. Give her a few minutes to calm down before we greet her. It worked pretty well for us. As she gets more comfortable in her new surroundings, she'll stop this.

Miss Buddie answered on 2/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Both my dog (poodle) and my best friend's dog (cocker spaniel) did this when they were puppies. They both grew out of it, but it was about a year and half or so before they did. Good Luck and thanks for rescuing a dog! :)

Katie

Hi there!
I used to have that problem, too, but not as much with my own family. Whenever anyone came over to the house, my family took me outside to meet them, so when I piddled it went on the ground - BOL!
My trainer, Deana, has worked with hundreds of rescue dogs, so she helped my family work with me on this issue. Here is a link to her answers page (click on the bottom-right link, "How do I teach my dog to... stop peeing when he is greeted?") www.k9techsupport.com
In the introduction to the instructions, Deana writes, "Submissive urination is sometimes confused with a house training issue. This is a separate behavioral issue, and there are several steps you can take to make the problem stop."
The step-by-step instructions should help - especially the recommendation to avoid direct eye contact, which is a challenge in "dogspeak," and the idea of substituting another behavior, such as "sit," in place of the submissive peeing.

Katie answered on 2/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer