Sir Paco-Christopher

How to stop my miniature schnauzer dog from being so agressive/fearful?

I have a 6 year old miniature schnauzer that I and my family love dearly. As a puppy, he loved everyone and couldn't wait to play with whomever came his way. Sadly though, as our neighborhood continues to change, my poor Paco has been attacked by three dogs of the leash (one of which being a staffordshire that almost literally bit his head off). Since then, he is extremely aggressive to any stranger he does not know, and will snap and lounge if you get too close. It is strange though becuase he does not do this to dogs, although they are the ones who attacked him. He is such a sweet guy and it makes me sad not many people can see that side of him.. I really don'tknow what to do.. HELP

Asked by Sir Paco-Christopher on May 5th 2010 in Aggression

Answers

try the trick that VS uses. Have people pass without speaking or eye contact and toss food. Use diced chicken breasts.
Ask folks to help most people will if they can feed dogs.
Remember to not let them come too close, look at the dog, or speak just walk and toss.
In time maybe the dog will calm down.
It is hard to fix things like this dogs have incredibly memories and get traumatized by theses types of events

Have you checked out www.cesarsway.com? this is the dog whisperer's website. he offers great tips and videos on how to deal with different types of aggression. look for fearful aggression and you should get some great info. usually once you learn the signs to look for, you can stop the behavior before it starts. good luck!