HOW TO STOP MY DOG FROM BITING OR SNAPPING WHEN HURT BY ACCIDENT

WHEN MY DOG IS STEPPED ON OR ANY THING THAT MIGHT CAUSE HIM DISCOMFORT HE WILL BITE OR SNAP. WE HAVE A 8 MONTH OLD GRAND CHILD. I AM AFRAID HE WILL BITE HER IF SHE PULLS HIS HAIR OR ANYTHING THAT MAY CAUSE HIM ANY MINOR DISCOMFORT. WHAT CAN BE DONE TO STOP HIM FROM DOING THIS.

Asked by Member 816180 on Mar 16th 2009 in Aggression

Best Answer

You may want to try some things.
You can buy some meat like shaved meat from the deli.
Put this in your pocket in a baggie.
Then get the dog to sit or lay down. Try getting the dog use to being touched everywhere. All of his body. When he is relaxed and not giving any unwanted behaviors, feed him right away. After working like this for a few days in 10 min. sessions, work on applying slight pressure to feet with your fingers. If he is good feed him right away. Work on his fronts first til he is comfortable. Then work on his back. If at any time he tries to bite, or snap, then don't give any reward, sometimes just waiting for him to calm and then start again. This is de-sensitizing. You are positively inforcing the fact touching is good not bad. Work with your dog so he can get used to different situations.
When he gets better and used to people touching him and applying pressure to his paws he will be able to tolerate more.:)

Dieta answered on Mar 16th.

Answers

This is NOT a dog training concern...It is a child management concern!..There is no reason to expect your dog to accept being stepped on or have his hair pulled without him reacting to protect himself...You need to supervise any interactions between your grandchild & your dog 100% of the time!...The child needs to be taught appropriate behavior around animals...If you are that concerned about a problem I would keep them completely separated until the child is of an age to learn how to interact with him appropriately.

i agree with Pippin i think you should separated them because the dog does not have to have his hair pulled or be stepped on if you can not handle these minor clerks than i think you should think about setting him up for adoption because i am sure you get really angry at him when he snaps!

Zackintosh CJ

I agree with Dieta and Pippin. Dogs shouldn't be forced to endure being poked, prodded or pulled by children. Its still not an excuse if the dog bites though. The dog is just trying to protect herself but try what Dieta said t let her know that some things she's not used to is okay, she doesn't need to protect herself. But also like Pippin said, watch the dog and child at all times, never ever leave a child unattended with a dog no matter how friendly and adoring the dog is. Make sure your grandchild knows its not okay to pull your dogs hair, tail, ears etc or poke and prod so much that annoys the dog.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cracker

First off, any animal (including humans) will lash out if uncomfortable, injured or frightened. The advice given regarding desensitizing your boy to being handled is good.
No child should ever be left unsupervised around ANY dog. Be mature and responsible in managing the dog when the baby is around. Help him associate the baby with extra attention from someone else or you.
All of this is common sense.

Cracker answered on 3/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Biting is a natural response to pain for dogs. They are in pain, all they want to do is stop it. So they bite.
Most will growl first as a warning, however.

The best way would be to keep the little kid away from the dog until she learns how to handle him nicely.

As a grandparent myself and a dog owner, it is my responsiblity to keep baby and dog safe and comfortable around each other. My grandson and Deogie are NEVER allowed to be near each other without me being right there, even though they have been together since day one, they are only 3 months apart in age.
In no way is my grandson allowed to pull or grab at Deogie in anyway. When he started reaching for Deogie, I was always holding his hands so no hair pulling could happen, be gentle we would say. When Deogie is laying down, I sit on the floor right beside him to make sure my grandson doesn't fall, step or crawl over him.
Both are now almost 2 and the best of friends but I still watch every move constantly. Babies and toddlers can be less than gentle and some dogs can react, but with common sense and a watchfull eye you will have a happy, safe baby and a happy dog.
In your situation, it's about what YOU can do to stop this. Don't allow baby near dog until baby respects dogs space,