CrystalWater's Petey ( Petey )

How to stop dog from peeing on the toilet?

My adopted Yorkie (7.5months ago) lived in a house where no one was home very often,he was locked in all the time, and doing his business in the house.When we got him, a few mistakes but adapted to our routine & was asking to go out to do his business by week 3.
No until a month or 2 later I noticed the mat in front of the toilet was soaking wet every once in a while, it dawned on me it was pee! and it was the dog! The other day I found a puddle around the bathroom garbage can, when this happens I scrub the floor and surroundings with Borax to kill any smell but he keeps doing it! & We've never caught him.It happens 2 or 3 times a month. I have showed him the pee said sternly "Petey go pee outside! no peeing in the house!" his tail goes between his legs and slinks away.
After we got him I noticed he can pee on 1000 tree's in a row and drink tons of water, I took him to the vet and he was tested and we now figure he is in early stages of Cushings. Can this be stopped (peeing)?

Asked by CrystalWater's Petey ( Petey ) on Aug 24th 2009 Tagged peeing, house in Behavior & Training

Answers

Fritz

Your dog has no idea what you mean when you show him pee and talk to him sternly. All he knows is that you are angry at him and he slinks away.
Unless you catch him actually doing it you will be unable to correct him. Please stop, you are hurting his feelings and doing no good.

Can you keep the bathroom door shut to keep him out of the bathroom? Also pet him and make a big deal out of him every time you see him go outside. If this happen only a few times a month, maybe his is needing to go out more. Take him out more often or work on teaching him to go to the door and let you know if he needs to go out.

If it continues get a vet check to make sure he isn't getting a bladder infection and then consider crate training.

Fritz answered on 8/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unless you catch your dog in the act of peeing on the rug, there is absolutely no point in chastising the dog. He has no idea what the heck you are talking about except that you are mad. Their brains are a bit different than ours. His tail is between his legs because he knows your mad at him, period. He does not associate that with peeing on the rug. If you do catch him, then tell him a stern NO and bad dog and then take him outside for walk. Tell him he's a good dog when he goes outside. Eventually he'll catch on. Also, please note that most puppies (if he is one) dont have full bladder control till they are around a year old, so even trained young dogs can have accidents just like kids. Try Nature's Miracle, it eats up stain and eliminates urine odor. Good Luck!!