How to stop Barking in the Crate.

Does anyone have any tips to stop my Frenchie puppy from barking? I noticed that he barks for 2 reasons: 1) Request Barking and 2) Possibly Fear or Boredom Barking.

His "Request" barking is the easier of the 2 of control. When he barks as a request, I simply ignore him. My bigger and main concern is his barking due to Fear or Boredom.

Today, my landlord had to come and take my puppy out of the crate and take him upstairs b/c his barking was so loud and persistant, the the neighbor was complaining. What tips and tricks can I do, to help my puppy cope?

Another possible problem with his barking in the crate, is that my roommate has an older dog as well, who wanders during the day. I also imagine that my puppy is upset that he can't be wandering as well? Even when I put him in a separate room and close the door, he still barks. Is there a way to train him to not bark, even if there is other movement (i.e. Other dogs/people) in the room?

Asked by Member 875648 on Sep 11th 2009 Tagged barkinginthecrate in Behavior & Training

Answers

Jet

This may mean you don't get a very good sleep tonight, or for a few nights, but:

Just ignore the barking. Don't give your dog treats or anything to calm him down. It'll work after a while. Good luck!

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 9/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

There certainly is: the ignore factor, to coin the term. My Treader had the same problem. After several nights of completely ignoring him while he was supposed to be in the crate, he learned that barking and whining is useless to convince me to let him out. I let him out when I am ready and not before.