how to squeeze dogs anel glands

how to clean dogs anel glands

Asked by Member 626762 on Apr 27th 2008 in Home Grooming

Best Answer

If you have never done this before, please have a veterinarian or a groomer show you how to do it correctly, so you don't cause pain or injury to your dog. It's not a difficult procedure, but there's a chance that you can do damage if you do it wrong. It's best to be shown how to do it in a hands-on way, not read about it online.

Abby answered on Apr 27th.

Answers

Put your dog in the bath tub, stand by his side, put gloves on, and at the 5 and 6 o'clock positions above your dog's anus push in. A foul-smelling liquid will come out unless they are empty. The anal glands usually empty by themselves when a dog has bowel movements, but not always. You may want your dog's vet to show you how to empty the anal glands once.

I would leave this to the professionals and only have them do it when it is needed. Otherwise, you risk either making things worse for the dog, or causing a problem when there isn't a problem.

If you're interested in learning about anal glands and whether or not they are in need of attention, ask either your vet or an experiened groomer to show you how to do this in person so that you can watch them demonstrate.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

As a Vet Tech/Groomer I totally agree with the above posters.It is best that you learn from a professional so that they can show you exactly what you are to do.If there is nothing there to fix then don't try to fix it.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 4/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oskar

My Mom is a groomer and it's common for people to stop into her shop just for expressing anal glands. Most groomers are willing to show you how it's done, but it can be messy, smelly and painful if the glands are impacted. My Mom usually washes their little booties afterwards, because the oils from expression can seep into their coat hair and it's pretty potent stuff. Also, it's not usually neccessary on bigger breeds, it's the little guys that have trouble expressing the glands themselves.

Oskar answered on 5/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer