How to keep puppy out of litter boxes

We have six cats, four litter boxes. Any suggestions on how to keep a new beagle puppy out of the litter boxes. Thank you so much for any answers and your time.+-
*

Asked by Member 759614 on Jan 1st 2009 Tagged puppy, litter, boxes, cats, ideas in Behavior & Training

Answers

I've never had cats, but a couple I babysat for in high school had cats and dogs and they kept their litter boxes elevated in the laundry room. At first, they just put it on the washer and then the husband built a small, wall attached table/shelf for the littler box that the cats could access by jumping up on to the washer and then step up onto.

Stormy

Many pet stores sell lids/canopies/covers for litter boxes both with and without door flaps. You may want to try putting lids on the litter boxes or "fencing" off the cat box area with an exercise pen or something to keep the dog out but the cats can easily jump over.

Stormy answered on 1/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I have two cats and a puppy, and I keep the litter box in a closet in the spare bedroom. I keep the closet door just open enough for the cats to get in, and the lid opening to the litter box facing the corner of the closet. So the cats are still able to get in and out of the box, but there's not enough room for the dog to get in.

You'll just need to put the cat boxes where your pup can't get to them...I have 7 house cats & 3 dogs in the house & that is the only way I can prevent it.

Phoebe

I have two cats and two litter boxes. Cat poop was like she was eating the best thing in the world ewwww. She would eat it and the about 1/2 later throw it all up. Good Times :) Once she tasted it it was pretty much impossible to keep her from it. I had to restrict her with a gate from the kitchen where the litter boxes are. I am now starting to let her go in there again.
When she goes near it I tell her no very loud and so far so good. I have also sprayed bitter apple around the area that the litter bozes are (cats don't mind) and that has helped as well. I also try to make sure that they are as cleaned out as possible. I am seriously thinking about getting a littermaid so that I don't have to worry what she is doing when I am not looking. I'd love to hear other suggestions becuse between the cat food and the litter box its like forbidden fruit she MUST have it!!

Phoebe answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer