Denali

How to keep a puppy from getting bored after neuter

My akita was just neutered on his 6 month birthday(4 days ago). The vet said "Keep the cone on 24/7 until his recheck and keep him from running or jumping". Well, he was pretty depressed with the cone on and did not know what to do with himself, so as long as I'm watching him, it's off. He really doesn't go for his stitches much, and I stop him if he tries.

He's feeling much better now, but that means he wants to run and jump and play, but he's not supposed to... His long lasting bones and treats only occupy him for so long before he gets bored. I've taken him for a 20 minute walk today- don't even know if I was supposed to do that. All he wants to do is run!

So does anyone have tips for dealing with a pup that needs to stay calm? Any calm games that could keep him interested? Anybody think I'm being too cautious with him? Should I just take him for an hour walk to tire him out? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Asked by Denali on Nov 17th 2013 Tagged neuter, bored, akita in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

I think your walking idea is excellent. You do not want a dog like that going bonkers inside from inactivity. They say the same thing about cats after being fixed... can you imagine a cat listening not to run around? The most important thing is to keep the area clean. After the walk, you can rub a gentle doggie cleaning wipe over the area. I would up the walks to 40 minutes... not brisk, just hanging out with each other, peeing on a tree, smelling a squirrel trail etc. After, you can give him a Greenie to chew (sizes are according to dog weight). I love Oriental dogs for their majestic personalities, yours has cool coloring. When the vet says activity is okay again, go for it! Happy Turkey Trotting! ^_^