How to house training a small pup in the winter?

Ok
I am having a hard time house training Mia ,she was so small when I first got her I used pee pads but now she is getting lazy and is doing her business where she wants to. The reason I used pee pads to start off with is that we live in the cold North ,Canada and Mia trembles as soon as she feels a cold breeze let alone put her out in it, lol. I tried putting her out with a coat on her but nothing she just gets cold and stands there shaking.

Any wise pup know what I can do to help house train her in this cold weather?.

Ty so much
Tina and Mia

Asked by Member 164961 on Feb 16th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Shenouk

Hello Tina,

I trained Shenouk last winter, we live at the highest point on Hwy 11 in Ontario. It is pretty cold up hear. I think Mia needs to go outside and build up her endurance to cold. If you keep her against you she will get used to your warmth, there for, I would suggest a few minutes outside every hour about 6 to 8 times an hour... Once she is more comfortable, you can can inscrease the time intervals. Her coat will slowly build up and her paw resistance also. It is hard, if possible when you put her outside, have her out on a sheltered side of the house where the winds arn't as strong. They do sell paw protectors as in slippers or even a liquid, I would not recommend these products because Mia needs to build her endurance. (My father has a baby Pom and he is doing exactly what I did and the puppy is getting better day by day :-) )

Shenouk answered on Feb 16th.

Answers

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Hi Tina
The best way to get her to use the pads and start to train her out side is to be consitant.You can start to move her pads to the garage to get her use to being outside.Have her wear a coat to keep her warm. Taking her out on a leash and being with her may help her to.If you take one of the already soiled pads outside with you and put it down and give her a word to follow like "go potty" and then stay still till she goes it helps. When did she start to have problems? Is she spayed yet? I didn't look at how old she is before writing.If she is getting close to 6-9 months and is not spayed yet try to get it done ASAP,because some dogs will have problems urinating in the hosue or just having accidents before they go into heat.you know where to find me if you have any questions

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 2/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer