how to get rid of worms for Puppies

My puppy is 10 weeks old Rat Terrior that weighs 5lbs. and just yesterday 12-17-07. My dog started scooting his butt around on my carpet. As soon as I noticed I gave him a teaspoon of Hartz Advanced Care Rid Worm Liquid. I never found any worms in his poop before I gave him this stuff, nor have I found any since. Should I still worry that even though he is treated he could still have a problem with them or is he ok?

Asked by Member 546394 on Dec 17th 2007 in Worms & Parasites

Best Answer

Pete- With the Ages

Don't screw around with over the counter stuff. Get your dog to a vet, not just for worms. Sounds like he needs an overall check up as well.

Pete- With the Ages answered on Dec 18th.

Answers

Annie

I agree with Pete - a vet visit may be in order, and don't put too much faith into over the counter de-wormers, especially that are only used once.

Your puppy may not have worms; dogs scoot their butts for other reasons, too. Maybe he just had something stuck to it from his last visit outside.

Annie answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Pork Chop

I would keep an eye on him for a while and see how he is but you definitely want to start him on a hartguard its pretty cheap once you have the visit and as long as u keep him on it for 67lb dog 1 pill is $10 and its supposed to fight any type of worms

Pork Chop answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Butt-scooting can also mean that his anal glands need to be expressed. Your vet can show you how to do this.

We have used over-the-counter de-wormers before and YES, they HAVE worked, but for very mild cases only... I never buy Hartz stuff though, they have a bad track record and don't think their stuff works very well.

Keep an eye on his stool if you still suspect worms but since he's so little, take him to the vet.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~

You should take him to the vet or at least call. A lot of puppies get ringworms and they would tell you if you need to bring him in or if they can recommend something over the counter.

And I agree with the others...nothing that Hartz makes works for anything.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~ answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Isolde Madchen

My first litter I used the Hartz dewormer for my puppies and I had a lot of upset buyers, which I had to reimburse for Vet bills. I thought the Hartz treated all types of worms, but if you actually read the bottle, it treats very few. One forsure that it does not treat is tapewoms and if the case is not severe you will not see the worms in the pups stool.
The best thing to do is as reccommended take him to the Vet. I now use my Vet for everything when it comes to my dogs and puppies. That way I know things cant go wrong.

Isolde Madchen answered on 12/18/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Meridian

I know Dogster Answers isn't the forums, but I wanted to mention that ringworm isn't actually caused by worms -- it's a fungus.

Generally if a dog has tapeworms or roundworms badly enough to start causing physical symptoms you'll be seeing worm segments coming out with the poop. Look close right after your dog poops. Are there little moving things that look like grains of rice?

A dog has two anal glands that sit at about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock on the edge of the anus. They are designed to deposit small amounts of an oily smelly substance onto the feces that serves as a dog's "calling card". When the glands aren't expressed normally because of stools that aren't the right texture or because of the dog's physiology, they fill up with fluid. By scooting and butt-dragging the dog can sometimes express it's own glands. Watch out, though, because sometimes the dog can't, and they can get infected. You'll want to see your vet about this.

Meridian answered on 12/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer