How to get my Jack Russell to eat?

I have a 6 1/2 year old jack russell. He loves to go hiking with me, but doesn't eat his dog food. I mix the mighty dog can food with his Iams brand dry dog food and he pucks it back up about four hours later. He will eat treats, like 100% non rawhide dental bones and chicken jerky dog treats. He will also beg, and whine to eat what I eat. He drinks water a lot but still only eats a litle dog food. I have even tried to feed him raw egg for the antibiotics in it. He has all his shots included. What should I do. He is a very sensitive Jack Russell. I have just moved to a new location too and it's a cooler climate then what he is used too also.

Asked by Member 1195490 on Oct 21st 2013 in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Feeding him people food is the problem, one you have to cut out if you want him to eat his dog food. Dogs go by smell... people food smells better but has the nutrients that dogs need already cooked out! The food brands that you mentionined above contain by-products, artificial colors and fillers, and that could be why he is vomiting. A good food for you to try would be Nutro Max in Mini Chunk (there's a Jack on the bag) from the pet store. Only change one thing at a time to minimize upset, so mix it in with the Iams and Mighty dog until a week later you are at 100% Max. A few days later start mixing in different Max canned foods and wean out the Mighty dog. You should see an improvement in his skin and coat and less vomiting within two months. If he's cold you can get him a dog shirt or more blankets and towels to bury under. ^_^