Bella

How to get my dog off the table?

My dog (italian greyhound mix) jumos on the table while no one is around and eats everything. She jumps straight from the floor to the table so thereis no chairs involved. Sometime I will catch her and yell but that has not stopped her. help me please...

Asked by Bella on Oct 7th 2008 Tagged jumping, table in Jumping Up

Answers

Maya

Jumping on the table must NOT be rewarding to her. So no food can be left unattended on the table at ANY time. One piece of food once every month is enough to keep her jumping up. It will also help to boundary train her if the dining area can clearly be defined. She should not be allowed in that room at all. Don't forget to reward her for staying in her space and out of yours. During mealtime, give her a special chew like a basted bone or a Kong stuffed with boiled chicken breast or hotdogs as these are high-value treats. This will show her she gets good things without jumping up. Keep the table unappealing, and give her a fabulous alternative and she will stay off. You MUST be consistent in keeping food inaccessable and avoid rewarding the bad behavior. She must never be given treats that come from the tabletop or counter, even by hand. She will put 2&2 together and learn that counters and tables have yummies, and continue to jump. Message me if you have questions.

-Lex

Maya answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Zack

The only things I can think of are to keep her out of that room when you can not watch her and store food in a place she cannot reach (i.e. not on the table). Dogs have a very powerful sense of smell and have a hard time resisting when they know the food is within their reach.

If it is an anxiety issue, you might also give Bella something to do (like a Kong toy stuffed with treats) when you can not be with her so she doesn't get so upset.

Zack answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I run a foster home for small breed dogs and have come across this problem, too.
My solution (for this and other problems, too) was to sit by with a squirt bottle of watter. Once the dog jumps up there, walk up to it, calmly, and give a single squirt, usually on the back, and say "Get down!" in a firm, loudish, voice.

Like I said, I've used this method with dogs who chase cats, get on the furniture, etc. jump on people, etc. and I've found it to be very efective.

Actually, it only takes a time or two, and then all you have to do, is shake the bottle, and they get the point.

Hope this helps.

Trevor

If she is doing when no one is home, take a cookie sheet with a little water on it & place it at the edge of the table. When she jumps up she will most likely get scared by the crashing sound of the cookie sheet & the splash of water. You might have a mess to clean a few times, but hopefully she will learn from it!

Trevor answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer