How to dog proof a fence?

My dogs have been escaping a lot lately because our fence has a lot of problems. I've tried just about everything to fix the fence and to keep my dogs from getting out. I've tried rocks that weigh up to 100 pounds but they just end up falling out of the fence onto the other side of the fence.

Today I went outside to rake/shovel most of the leaves and stuff out of the fence and while I'm starting to do this I did not notice how bad the fence was, there's 2-3 foot escape places under the fence. I tried to fill most of them up today but I know they will wash away when it starts raining again.

My dogs are geniuses when it comes to figuring out how to escape. One of my dogs was outside with me today and he started knocking down rocks and got his whole head through the other side of the fence and then got his body through. He moved the rocks from underneath the fence and tried to slip through, too. One of my dogs escaped yesterday and we found him about 8 miles away, at least. The fence fell down a couple weeks ago from the force of the water when we had flooding issues. Every time it rains here, it floods and the fence gets ruined and all the rocks and everything have fallen down and/or washed off.

How can I dog proof my fence? Will chicken wire work? How do I install chicken wire so that my dogs won't escape? Does anybody else have any other ideas that would help dog proof the fence? I've tried everything from rocks, iron bars, wooden panels (wood will rot, so nothing with wood will work), dirt, rebar, chains (to try to hold the fence down and attach it to something else), etc.

I need something strong enough so that my dogs will not get through and another dog will not get through the fence. Another dog slipped through the fence a couple days ago or so and actually came inside the fence and out my dogs went.

Asked by Member 930032 on Mar 17th 2011 Tagged dog, escaping, fence, holes in Behavior & Training

Answers

Chicken wire should work. Wire it to the bottom of the fence with hog rings or something similar, so that it is lying on the ground perpendicular to the fence. Then put heavy rocks on it and shovel dirt over it. I don't know if this will withstand flooding (really, hardly any fences will) but it should keep them from digging out. They will be unable to simply push the rocks through the gap to escape if there is chicken wire in the way.

Really, it will cost more, but the best option might be to talk to a fencing company and see what they recommend for putting in a new dog-proof, flood-proof fence. It will be easier to maintain if it was built right in the first place.

Riley

Perfect idea that my dad thought of when we got a goat...He would put concreat(Concret?) idk how to spell it but like put some underneath the line of the fence...He did this so my dogs wouldnt try to eat or kill my goat....Over time the dogs stoped it...

It helped just fine and nothing went wrong!

Riley answered on 3/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had success with cement patio blocks. But, looks like you've tried it all. I think the only thing left is an electric wire on the bottom. I know you hate to think of that, but as a last resort I would do it, if I thought it would keep my dog safe. :)

Halo

Hot wire (electric fence) about 2 inches off the ground and an inch or two inside the fence. It won't harm the dog but will frighten and it is very uncomfortable when he touches it. He won't hit it more than 3-4 times before he learns to stay away from the fence.

I hate having to use it, but some critters, and not just dogs, need it. I have had to use it to fence proof horses, goats, hogs and dogs.

Halo answered on 3/17/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer