how to correct a dogs nervous peeing problem? I am a 1 yr old pit/ boxer mix.

when i adopted her the lady said that she was afraid of big men and would pee, well my fiance is 130lbs and is the only male around her and she constantly pees eevrywhere when ever you try to correct her. how do you re train a dog hat is in fear and submissive, when others are around? i love her so much but if i cant fix this she'll have to find a new home.

Asked by Member 551085 on Dec 28th 2007 Tagged submissiveness, fearpeeing in Behavior & Training

Answers

Leon

Puppies that pee when excited/nervous will not have complete control over their bladders until they are 1 1/2 years old. My brother Diesel did it until he was about that age.

You dog also needs to be socialized in a positive, gentle manner. It might help if you don't create excitement around her. Try ignoring her until she is calm and ready to accept attention.

Good Luck!

Leon answered on 12/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You have to understand the mechanics behind submissive urination in order to fix the problem. This is not something that can be fixed by correcting her - as a matter of fact, correcting or punishing her for peeing is just going to make the behavior worse, not better.

When a dog submissively urinates, it's the dog's way of saying, "You are the supreme master and look, I'm being good and submissive. There's no reason to threaten me or be mean. I'm submissive already."

With a dog like that, it's absolutely important that you and your fiance are very aware of your body posture and tone of voice. Do not lean over her, stare into her eyes, pet on top of the head. All of those are very threatening to a submissive dog. To interact, speak with a happy voice, squat down leaning away from her, eyes half closed. That is a very non-threatening position. Yawn as a calming signal, gently lick your lips. Let her approach on her terms and praise and reward her for good behavior.

Google for more info

Dolly

My dog also did this but only with males. She had not had any abuse in her history, but she was just a somewhat timid dog. When we re-trained the humans, it eventually stopped. When the two males that she did this with would come into the house, I'd have them stop a good distance from her and squat down and let her approach them. They'd also raise their voice a bit and not reach for her. Once she'd gotten comfortable, after a couple of minutes, they could stand and go sit down or whatever. If she came to them, it was okay to pet and so forth.

Now those people are just fine to come in and there's no need for them to approach her as they once did. It took *months* of them being very calm and non-threatening towards her, tho. Months! But yes, I fully agree, correction is the worst thing you can do and will only make it worse.

PS - my bf tried to "correct" my dog for this and I told him if he kept that up, *he* would be the one leaving, haha.

Dolly answered on 12/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer