Nanjays Canamer Cadence (Cady)

How to change senior dogs to self-feeders

I have 2 female dogs, ages 10 & 11 yrs. The older one can be food aggressive. I am thinking of making them self-feeders and keeping food in their bowls all the time. I believe this may make them less "ouchy" about their mealtimes if there is always food in their bowls. They eat a good quality dry food. Is it too late to change? How would you suggest going about the change? Thank you.

Asked by Nanjays Canamer Cadence (Cady) on Sep 6th 2013 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

I think you could do it, but I don't think you should. If a dog is food aggressive, why leave extra food laying around all the time for her to guard? I think you're just going to create problems for yourself.

Feed your dog's separately. If one is food aggressive, she'll always be food aggressive towards the other dog whether you change the feeder or not. Feed them in separate rooms.