How tight should my dogs collar be?

I can fit 4 fingers in between his collor and his loose skin.

Asked by Member 564186 on Jan 29th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

It depends on the collar type/style. A good rule-of-thumb is being able to fit 2 fingers between the collar and the neck. Some training collars require a tighter fit, but they are only used when training, not when left on. Your standard nylon/leather collar should follow the 2-finger rule. Less than 2 fingers is too constricting, more than 2 is too loose and can usually easily slip off or a dog can get its paw caught in the gap.

answered on Jan 29th.

Answers

Monroe (Buckshot)

They usually say if you can fit two fingers between the collar it's good, but like the previous pup said-it depends on which collar you're using.
But basically, you don't want them to slip their head out of the collar

Monroe (Buckshot) answered on 1/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

The general rule of thumb with collars is to be able to fit at least 2 fingers between the dog's collar and your fingers.

I all depends upon the idividual dog and it's own comfort level. The dog should be able to breathe comfortably even during strenuous exercise. It should be able to swallow food and water without any strain. If the dog pulls backwards on it's leash, the collar shouldn't be able to slip right off right away. But if the dog were to get tangled in something and pull hard enough, the collar SHOULD be loose enough to allow the dog's head OUT.

That is the reason my dogs don't wear collars (unless we are travelling or going on a walk). Lots of dogs get stuck in their collars and choke to death. I highly recommend a Breakaway collar for your dog. These collars ensure that your dog can escape strangulation (if it ever needed to), but it will remain locked in place during walks.

www.breakawaycollar.com

Rambo

it should be tight enough that you shoud be able to fit 2 fingers under it

Rambo answered on 1/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer