♥ Babe ♥

how rare are catahoula leopard dogs???

i see ALOT of catahoula leopard dogs in utah shelters mostly mixes. i always thought they were rare and now they are all over utah. i was wondering if it is just a uneducated guess by the shelter staff? or are there truly that many in shelters? thanx!

Asked by ♥ Babe ♥ on Dec 7th 2009 in Catahoula Leopard Dog

Answers

I think they are rare-ish. I know of a few rescues in California that specialize in them, so they're not super rare.

I see them from time to time, but I agree that sometimes the owners think they have one, but it's clearly just a mix of other dogs that look similar.

Kitana

I can honestly say shelters don't have the first clue when trying to figure out what dog is mixed with what. They once had a purebred smooth collie and claimed it was half doberman and half border collie. They also have alot of so called husky mixes just because the dog has blue eyes.Never trust what the humane society has down for a breed.

Kitana answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

It is a rare breed, I agree the shelter staff is just guessing.

Seth answered on 12/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer