Monty

How old should my chi/poodle puppy be to visit the groomers for the first time?

My puppy is about 4 months old and his fur is growing excessively his fur is covering his eyes i tried cutting his fur myself but he panicked so i stopped. Any advice?

Asked by Monty on Aug 15th 2011 Tagged puppy, grooming in Professional Grooming

Answers

Daisy Mae

I would wait until he has all his puppy shots since he will be exposed to other dogs and their germs while at the groomers. I know your pup is a boy, but can you try pulling his fur up in a bow to keep it out of his eyes?

Daisy Mae answered on 8/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maggie

Now!
At four months, (16 weeks) he should have full immunity (assuming he's had shots) and is safe to go where other dogs are. The younger a dog is when first groomed, the easier they learn to tolerate it.

Maggie answered on 8/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would say now is the time. She is old anough.

Seth

If you start them getting groomed early. It may help it not to be as tramtic an event when they get older. I would go ahead and get an appointment now if only for a bit of a trim. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Seth answered on 8/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer