how old should an adopted dog be?

I want to adopt a dog. What's the perfect age?

Asked by Abby on Sep 18th 2007 Tagged adoption, age, puppies, adult in Adoption & Rescue

Best Answer

Natasha- Found a Home!

This is really a personal question. It depends on how much training you want to do.

Personally I HATE puppies. I won't adopt below 2 years old and I perfer dogs 3 to 4 years old. Yes puppies are cute, and then in 3 months they are not that cute anymore but for the next TWO years you have to deal with chewing. They can't help it their teeth are coming in and chewing helps their gums feel better. You also have to house train puppies. They have more energy- too much energy for me. You have to crate train them. They may be awake at night- while older dogs have already adjusted to your schedule.

Older dogs are normally housebroken already (or pretty close), don't chew like puppies do, normally already know sit and they really appreciate getting a home. Older dogs have a harder time getting adopted too:(

Older dogs already have a personality- as in you know if they like other dogs or cats or kids already. Puppies grow up and may get along with whatever when they are little-then change.

Natasha- Found a Home! answered on Sep 21st.

Answers

That's a good question but I think it depends what you're looking for. I would like a younger dog but there's many well-trained older dogs out there that need a furever home too!

In Loving Memory BayLee Jean

Hi! I adopted BayLee from Animal Friends under the red Collar Society which I am classified a senior and my BayLee was 8 when I got her and she celebrated her 9th birthday here with me. I do have other dogs but I felt I would love to give her a home so she can be happy for the rest of her years instead of sitting in a cage looking so sad because her owners gave her up in her older years and that is so sad. She is happy here with me and her sisters and Mimi is starting to play. It depends on what you feel in your heart to do and what type of dog you can handle . Like a large dog or a little yapper. Do you have a yard to let them be free a bit? Go to your rescues and humane societies or even check on dogster. Lot of cute pups even if they are older. Make one Happy!!

In Loving Memory BayLee Jean answered on 9/29/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer