how old does a male puppy have to be to get a female pregnant

male puppy 5 months old female 7 months old can he get her pregnant

Asked by Member 775103 on Dec 1st 2008 in Other Puppies

Answers

Brock, CGC

As soon as the testicles have desended I believe, which happens around 6 months, or earlier, I think. However, unless a female is in heat she cannot get pregnant. Females generally have their first heat between 6 & 12 months of age though. So a 5 & 7 month old pair is very risky. That is plenty old enough to get spayed & neutered even for the most conservative vet or owner. I would recommend scheduling their surgeries asap. Having dogs fixed is cheap, safe, fast, and reduces the pet overpopulation, can help prevent/reduce some behavior problems, prevent the risk of cancers of the reproductive system in both sexes, etc. More info: www.hsus.org www.hsus.org

Brock, CGC answered on 12/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Nekita

well i'm wondering if you want them to have puppies? he should be able to get her pregnant, yes... I believe my pup was 9 months when he got my female pregnant. I'm guessing he could've gotten her pregnant before that if she had been in heat. Also you will need to know that for about a week after the female stops bleeding, she can and probably will get pregnant if she's with a male at that time. So if you're not trying to have pups, be careful! better to be safe than sorry.

Nekita answered on 12/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please do not, I repeat do not, breed them at this young age. One, it's way way way too young for the female. Like a young teenager having a baby. Two, the important health tests cannot be done until the dogs are 2 years old. By breeding them this early, you will not only increase the risk of the female dying during labor and not having her motherly instincts to care for the puppies, but you also risk having a litter of unhealthy puppies. Breeding is not something to take lightly. It's hard on the female dog, it's expensive, and it's a huge responsibility. I strongly recommend that you do a few year's worth of research on breeding, the ethics involved, your dog's breed, and dogs in general. As well as completely health testing (not just a vet check, FYI, but OFA, CERF, and others) both dogs, seeing how well they fit their breed standard, and that they can do what the breed was originally bred for.