How often should I walk my bichon frise?

I'm planning on getting one and this could be useful (:

Asked by Member 819580 on Apr 9th 2009 Tagged walking in Bichon Frise

Best Answer

The first answer was right. You should walk your Bichon Frise at least twice a day. Walking and exserise is a key for dogs. I should know, I have a Siberian Husky, not only do you have to walk him twice a day, you have to run him a lot. The more you walk him, the less chance he or she will run away. Remeber, when you want to get a dog, you need to do your research, and if you want to be a responsible dog owner, you need to take proper care of your dog. If you have a family, you could make a chart stating when a family member should take him for a potty or walk and feeding. For example: Monday: Mom 7:30 am take the dog pee. 7:45 feed the dog. 8:45 take for walk. And the next day it is someone else doing the stuff. This will help!
Kosmo and Ariana

answered on Apr 9th.

Answers

All dogs need exercise. It is their primal instinct to walk. even if you have a small dog in an apartment. they still need to be taken out for walks. Is the dog an adult or puppy? If it is a puppy I would start with atleast twice a day, 15-20 minutes each time. If you are noticing that he/she still has alot of energy, then extend the walk. For an adult, I would go again with atleast twice a day, this time for half hour each time. Extend if you see that they are really enjoying it or are still very energetic.
When i was younger, my family has a little 6 pound mixed breed that we would take on a 45 minute walk 3 times a day and she loved it!

I don't think my first answer went through: This breed needs moderate excersise. They aren't very active but at the same time they aren't lazy either. I would say once a day walk should be fine.

The first responder really got it. (paws to them)

I just wanted to supplement their response.

I have a 2 pound pom pup, and I walk her when the weather permits.

You can take a decent length walk.. however, pay attention to your puppy.
If they start resisting, or laying down they are telling you "HEY!, I'm tired and little.. I need a break!"

So let them rest a while, and continue.

I started with short distance (around the block)
Then built up to 2 blocks..
Then the neighborhood.

We are just getting to the walking path.

She loves it.

Jasper

At least once a day for sure, but the other people are right in saying more walks are better for the dog and will also keep bad behaviour to a minimum because they will be tired.

Jasper answered on 4/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer