CREEPSHOW

How often should I vaccinate?

I've been hearing that annual vaccination in adult dogs is harmful. I usually do a combo every year and bordatella every 6 months. I do not want her to be "overvaccinated" but at the same time, it terrifies me to not have her vaccinated. Also, if I choose not to vaccinate annually, will my vet think I'm an abusive or ignorant dog owner and will I not be able to take her to any sort of day care facility? How often do you all vaccinate your dogs? What vaccines? What are the harms of overvaccination?

Asked by CREEPSHOW on Jan 5th 2010 in Vaccinations

Answers

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC

Each person's preference is different, and it always depends on your situation. My vaccination schedule goes as such: they get their first shot in the distemper series at 8 weeks, and we do one a month until that series of four is finished. Then the one year rabies is after that. Once that one year rabies is up, I then vaccinate the rabies and distemper combo once every three years. Both of these vaccines have a three-year variety, and are recognized as legal by all states. I personally do not vaccinate bordetella. I believe it to be a prefectly pointless vaccine. Since it only consists of the most common strains of kennel cough, it's still very possible for the dog to catch it. I've had dogs catch it from the vaccine and in spite of the vaccine, so I really think it's pointless. I worked at a dog day care for a few months and my dog went with me to work every day and never caught it and he isn't vaccinated. It's a personal choice, but I feel it's not needed.

Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shiver Me Timbers

Honestly, it's all personal preference. I'm going about the practice of not-annually vaccinating, at the guidance of a great dane breeder in my city. She has done this for over ten years with her dogs, along with the raw diet and I've been doing the exact same thing. It saves me on unneccesary vet bills, so that if there's ever an actual emergency, I can put that money toward that instead.

Also, I worked at a doggy daycare too and my dog wasn't vaccinated with his bordetella, and he caught it. But only reason he caught it was because a groomer dog came in and had no actual symptoms of it showing and spread it around to a lot of the dogs at the daycare. Took him a while to catch it, but he did. However, kennel cough tends to go away on its own within a two week period and isn't very severe. Rarely does anyone need a vet.

Honestly, I see no reason to get certain vaccines, depending on what the exposure is. And after I've seen too many dogs get bad reactions, I just don't want to.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer