How often should a labrador retriever be fed, and what is the best food for this dog.

Asked by Member 560506 on Jan 20th 2008 in Pet Food

Best Answer

Two meals a day is the best way to feed. That way, you're always keeping a little bit of food in your dog's tummy and you're cutting down on the chances of getting bloat which are higher if you feed one large meal.

What the 'best' kind of food is really depends on your dog. Does your dog have any allergies? Does he/she have any specific needs in terms of food, such as something that has added fish oils or glucosamine?

I would check out some of the pet stores in your area, especially the smaller and independent stores, and see what they carry. Most of the stuff Petsmart and Petco carry isn't very good food, although some of their kibbles are in the "okay" category - Nutro Naturals, Natural Balance and Blue Buffalo. But smaller stores carry high quality products and grain free kibbles, like Canidae, California Naturals, Innova, etc.

Abby answered on Jan 20th.

Answers

How often you feed is not, or at least should not, be breed specific. Twice a day is the best, although my dogs get fed once a day. Once in early afternoon, and once again in late afternoon, I'd say. However, this will vary with individual dogs. No food works for all dogs, as individuals. Here are some foods I'd reccommend, some based on experience, and other based on what others have said:
Lassie Natural Way
Canidae

Sugar Magnolia

generally speaking, about 1cup twice a day is good for that size dog. feeding is not breed specific, as mentioned above. think more about the size and activity level of your dog.

i'm a Canidae girl, myself. once in the morning after my walk, and one in the evening (right after mom & dad's dinner).
Innova is a great food, too.
Timber Wolf Organic was highly recommended by my trainer, but was too rich for me, personally. Full of good stuff tho!

Sugar Magnolia answered on 1/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I get fed twice a day and I eat Nutro Natural Dog Food. I had dry itchy skin and switched to this and it worked wonders!

I would feed twice a day...If you are going to feed kibble I recommend Canidae...No artificial preservatives or colors...All USDA approved ingredients that are grown & raised in the USA...Canidae is owned by Canidae, not an umbrella company, & they make only pet food...Plus you can feed it from puppy to adulthood & customer service is great!.
Bonus for me my sensitive stomach dog did not throw up on it or have loose stools & his itch skin cleared up!
B.t.w., I would think a Lab needs more than 2 cups of food a day as a previous answer stated...Especially if it is a puppy or adult & not a senior.

Riley

Of course it varies from dog to dog, but Riley is 7 and weighs 90lbs. He gets 2.5-3 cups once a day...he isn't real active right now; when we he is more active he usally gets a litte more. Maggie is 6 and weighs around 65lbs. The vet says to give her only 1 cup, but her tummy always growls and she seemed so hungry so i give her 1.5-2 cups once per day. She is my couch potato. Milo is 4 and weighs 80-85lbs and gets 2 cups once per day. He is fairly active, running around all day. They all eat Nutro foods (Nutro Ultra right now) which has been wonderful for their skin.

Riley answered on 1/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Since Labrador Retrievers have deep chests, they should be fed more than once a day. Three to four portioned meals a day is best. It helps prevent bloating, and it keeps them from feeling too hungry over the course of the day.

What food you feed really depends upon your individual dog. All dogs have different needs. Some good rules of thumb can be found here:

www.dogfoodproject.com

Try to avoid foods with dyes, chemicals, by-products, corn, wheat, and soy. All of those are unhealthy allergens that have no nutritional value what so ever. Shop for your dog's food at a pet store- not the grocery store.

Good brands: Innova, Solid Gold, Wellness, Premium Edge, Kirkland, Canidae, Orijen

Okay brands: Natural Balance, Drs. Foster & Smith, Iams, Diamond, Nutro, Purina ONE

Try to avoid these: Dog Chow, Science Diet, Eukanuba, Kibbles n' Bits, Beneful, Pedigree, Ol' Roy

You might want to try a few different brands to find out what's best for your INDIVIDUAL dog.