Reba

How often can I cut my dogs toe nails?

This dog has had long nails since we rescued her and I've tried to keep up but unfortunately haven't so they are still way too long and one has broken up way high and it is kind of raw looking. I don't want this to happen to any others but thought you had to wait a week between cuts to allow for the vein to retract?

Asked by Reba on Feb 4th 2008 in Grooming

Best Answer

Gio

Depending on how fast the dog's nails grow you can cut them whenever you need to. I cut the nails of both of my dogs every 3 days as they grow so fast, in part due to a good diet.

There are three layers to the nail; the hard outer cover, the soft "meat" in the center, and the quick (the bloodsupply to the nail). If you look at the end of the nail and can only see the outer layer, cut away. Once you can notice a round "core" with the outer layer around it in a full or semi-circle, cut off smaller pieces. If you notice a tiny dot in the middle of the "core" then stop as you are getting close to the quick.

In order to take the quick back and shorten the overall length of the nails, you can cut them regularly as close to the quick as possible, or grind them with a hand-held grinder. I do both with my dogs, using the clippers to take off the bulk and the grinder to take it close to the quick. check out www.doberdawn.com for a GREAT explanation of how to grind dog nails.

Gio answered on Feb 4th.

Answers

Whenever they looked "hooked". Start your new dog off by cutting at the very tip, just below the quick. Wait and week and clip again.

Pedro

Once a week is what i do but I grind my dogs nails.You can still trim them that often.Try having a groomer or your Vet trim them for you first them keep up with them afterwards.You can use a metal nail file to start her getting use to being ground then purcahse a nail grinder or Dremel tool to do her nails with.

Pedro answered on 2/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer