Sunny

How much should my dog weigh and how much exersize?

My dog has severe hip problems... he gets walked for 4 miles in the morning and then just a stroll in the evenings. He seems to do ok and I know that walking is good for him... I just don't want to over do it.
As for his weight... he is very large for a golden retreiver so I can't go by the breed standard. I can feel his ribs easily but not see them.. the only thing is I can't see a clear defined waist, almost none at all. I'm thinking thats fur because when he gets wet you can see his waist. Please look at his pictures and tell me what you think.
thanks a ton,
sunny

Asked by Sunny on May 9th 2009 in Other Travel & Recreation

Best Answer

You are correct that you should able to feel the ribs, but he could still have too much belly. I am used to Labs, and I am having a little trouble with my 8 month old Golden.

He looked dry in all the pictures. Try this link, www.longliveyourdog.com Your vet may also help you evaluate him.

I am not sure about the exercise. Again, the vet may be your best source of advice.

Aster answered on May 9th.

Answers

The Pawsee

It is always hard to tell with dogs that have a lot of fur. When Sunny is wet and you cannot see a defined waist then you should cut down on his food intake and treats. For Jack we needed to change his food to reduced fat (he is now eating Wellness CORE reduced fat), he was also getting to many treats.

As for the walking can you break it up into 2 miles in the morning and 2 miles in the evening, if not mention it to the vet that he is doing a 4 mile walk and make sure it is ok with the vet.

The Pawsee answered on 5/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

He doesn't sound overweight that is good sign.
Also 4 miles for an HD dog is too much, but if he likes it then use your judgement. My vet said one hour of constant exercise for a dog with HD is too much. So depends on how old the dog is and how much pain he has. Most of the time just yard exercise is fine for a dog with this problem and a stroll in the evening. They sell a waist leash to hold their bottom up I seen them at petsupply plus store.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 5/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pixie

I have hip dysplasia and it's been a tough balance for mom and dad between enough exercise and not aggravating my condition without carrying too much weight. I have now had both my knees operated on and during those two recovery periods I gained weight because of no walks or toys and no running around outside chasing squirrels or birds. Mom did check with my doctor and he said that I am pretty muscular for a Brittany so I will weigh more than the breed average. When I was a little overweight, I lost my curves around my tummy and sort of had a barrel middle. So a little less food, a change in food and more exercise and I got my girlish figure back. Mom says to definitely check with your vet and get some ideas on what is best for you. Good Luck!!!!

Pixie answered on 5/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It sounds like Sunny is quite fit. Sporting dogs have a lot of energy, so his exercise is good. As for feeding, just don't overfeed. You'll be able to tell if you need a low calorie dog food or to cut back. They say a tired dog is a happy dog.