how much should i feed my german shepherd/rottweiller mix per day

Asked by Member 964425 on Feb 15th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Charlie

It depends on how old your dog is. It also depends on the food you are giving them. Most foods give a chart on the bag to how much you should be giving your dog going by their age. I have a german shepherd/siberian husky who is 5 months old and we feed him between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups of food a day.

Charlie answered on 2/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN)

Totally depends on your dog's ideal weight, age, activity level, and the type of food you're feeding. Most charts on the sides of bags tend to grossly overestimate the amount of food needed. My moderately active 95# rottie eats 2.5 cups of kibble (Acana grain-free formulas) plus one third of a can (Wellness CORE or 95%) per day to maintain his ideal weight.

C.J. (C-ATCH,TDI,CGC,RE,ChSN) answered on 2/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

♥Molly♥

i agree with the other posters, but i want to add feed your dog a good quality food, such as wellness, evo, chicken soup for the dogs soul or blue buffalo, most of those are some what expensive depending on where you live, but you feed less and you save money cause they don't eat as much. best of luck! [o:

♥Molly♥ answered on 2/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

It depends. It's generally a good idea to feed a little less than the bag tells you to. The dog food manufacterers (sp) are there to make money after all, so they'll want to bag to be used up faster.
Keep an eye on your dog's weight. The chart given by a previous poster is good (though I don't care for the company that made it). If he's ideal right now and seems to gain after a week on, say, two cups per day you need to feed less.

Maverick

It all depends on the food you are feeding and your dogs personal metabolism! There are guidelines on the food bag but, remember they are just guidelines and are normally set on the high side! I would start with those and adjust accordingly!

Good luck! :D

www.thenutrocomapny.com

Maverick answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have two big dog's, I feed them 1 1/2 cups two times a day. As, I feed them two times a day.

Big dogs should be fed more than small dogs should be.

How much are you feeding her now? How many times a day?

What brand do you feed? What kind of food do you feed? (soft, kibble, pouches, rolls.)

If you are feeding kibble feed two times a day, each time 1 1/2 cups of food.

If you are feeding soft food (canned), feed two times a day, the whole can.

If you are feeding pouches, feed atleast three to four times a day, and feed 2 pouches every time. All though, pouches will cause diarrhea, if given to much.

If you are feeding rolls, then I woud sugest you feed the dog three times a day, with 1 cup of the food.

If you are feeding raw, or homecooked. Feed two-three meals of homecooked a day. If you are feeding raw, then I would feed two-three times a day.

There is also semi-moist. If you are feeding this, feed two-three times a day.