How much should I feed my dogs each day?

I have 2 Labradore Retriever mixed dogs. The female is 80 pound and 5 years old, while the male is 90 pounds and 2 years old. They are housepets and get moderate exercise. They are being trained as Arson Investigation Dogs. Their training is obedience commands, search commands, and running / walking an obstackle course. I give them dog food treats when they do good at exercise and training.
1) How much dry food should I feed each dog each day?
2) How much moist food should I feed each dog each day?

Asked by Member 775991 on Dec 3rd 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

What types of food are you feeding them now? I only feed moist food when they are puppies. It isn't good for their teeth, and it isn't very nutritious at all. If you are feeding dry food, the bag should tell you how much to feed for your dogs according to age and weight. It really isn't something that can be just determined without knowing what you feed, as each brand of food requires different amounts. Make sure you are feeding a high quality kibble (if that is what you choose) as you will notice you will have to feed less because it is more nutritious for your dogs.

It depends on the type/brand of food you are feeding. If you're feeding kibble, there should be a feeding guideline on the package (feed x cups per day for x lb. dog). The different brands differ in nutritional consistency, so the amount to feed will vary between brands. Also, keep in mind that these feeding guidelines are suggestions, as every dog is different regarding metabolism and daily activity. So, start with what is recommended and adjust as needed (increase the amount fed/day if you notice weight loss; decrease if you notice unwanted weight gain).

If you feed raw, again you will need to adjust feedings depending on the dog's 1) metabolism and 2) daily activity. If you feed an amount that seems to be sufficient, but you are noticing weight loss, increase the amount; likewise, if you notice unwanted weight gain, decrease the amount.

As for the moist food, it shouldn't be necessary, but again, feed an amount that maintains a healthy weight for your dogs.

Zackintosh CJ

I don't agree with Seargent's answer, wet food (Depending on the brand) is much more nutritious than dry food, it contains more meat than dry food. Depending on what you feed them, feed what it recommends on the bag, generally more if they are super active athlete working dogs. Raw or homemade is better for working dogs, try this website for more info and how much raw/homemade to feed. www.dogaware.com
Good luck! PS Zack is a semi-working dog in training for SAR!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 12/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pom

I fed my dog only once a day because it is not an active dog.

But if you dog is very active and did real outdoor exercises daily, you may feed it 2 or 3 meals.

Get experts' advices available at some sites like this one.
www.Recipes4Pet.com

Pom answered on 12/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer