How much should I charge to let somebody breed their dog with mine?

I have a male Yorkshire Terrier &my aunts friend has a female whom she wants to breed...she said she would pay me for each puppy, so i was wondering what would be an acceptable price?

Asked by Member 739633 on Sep 19th 2008 in Yorkshire Terrier

Answers

Cody

Please think about bringing more puppies into the world. I worked at the local shelter for 3 yrs and seen to many people breed their dogs to make some extra money, or some other excuses. She says she will pay but what if there are complications, will she want you to pay half the vet bill? I can tell the way you are asking the question you have never done this before. Personally I would tell her thanks but No thanks, and tell her she should think about getting her fixed instead of adding to the problem. And not to sound rude but your little man should get fixed too.

Cody answered on 9/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Scooter

I agree with the previous answer. Please go to my page and look at my video. It has to do exactly with this. Please don't do it without properly researching it. Also the female giving birth could die!

Scooter answered on 9/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Don't worry about money. Has your dog been health tested at all? And I don't mean just a vet check-up. I mean the important tests like OFA and CERF. And they aren't cheap. Does your male fit the breed standard pretty well? If you don't know what I mean then you really shouldn't be breeding. At least until you take time to do some research. Next, what if your aunt's friend's reason for wanting to breed? If it's anything besides for the health of the breed then don't accept her request.
Please take time to LEARN about breeding and what ethics are involved before breeding. There are far too many people breeding for the wrong reasons.
cookiemiller.tripod.com

SONNY

We use to breed dogs and what we did was ask the person we are breeding with if they want a puppy or cash meaning whatever the puppies value you give to them. You can also just give them the cash that the puppy is worth. Good Luck

SONNY answered on 9/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You might find some info here:
www.woodhavenlabs.com

Well, that is a good question. Stud fees vary and are generally based on the quality of the stud and what he produces.

Some of the things that tell quality are the health clearances your dog has - OFA on hips and elbows, CERF for the eyes, testing for genetic diseases common in the breed.

Additionally, quality is proven by the dog's titles and standing in the show ring. What titles does your dog have in the ring? Any Best in Show? CH?

If you looked at any of this and went, "I don't know what she's talking about", then you should not stud your dog at all. There are already enough badly bred, not-to-the-standard, backyard dogs out there that nobody wants. 4 million of them get put to sleep each year, in fact, and that's JUST in the United States.

Little Man

EVERYONE HAS A OPION ON BREEDING
I AM A BREEDER YORKSHIRE TERRIERS
ARE BIG SELLERS THERE ARE TWO WAYS OF DOING THIS .WHAT I DO IS IF IT IS ONE OF MY MORE EXPENSIVE ADULTS AND I GIVE STUD SERVICE I CHARGE THE AMOUNT OF A FEMALE OR TAKE PICK OF THE LITTER. IF YOU NEED THE MONEY WHAT I WOULD DO IS CHARGE HER ADLEAST $500.00 STUD SERVICE THAT IS HOW IS WORKS NOT PER PUP WHAT IF HER DOG ONLY HAS 2 PUPS THEN YOU DO NOT MAKE ANY MONEY
DO NOT LISTEN TO THE SPCA PEOPLE THEY ARE TRYING TO STOP US BREEDERS

Little Man answered on 10/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer