Ricco

How much should I be feeding my 6 mo old American Bulldog? I feed him 2cups 2x a day. He gets a ton of exercise. Yet he

Asked by Ricco on Nov 28th 2010 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Tip: Try having a very short question in the TYPE YOUR QUESTION BOX
Then below there's a box that say;DETAILS
Then that way your question wont be cutted off:)

# Your puppy should be eating a good quality food formulated for puppies of his or her size twice daily. Consider your pup's age, weight, and activity level when deciding how much to feed. Every brand of food has different nutrients, caloric densities and feeding recommendations. There is no set formula for how much to feed a puppy. Check the manufacturer's recommendations on how much to feed. As your puppy ages and his size increases, he will need more food each day. Weigh your puppy each week. Approximate caloric requirement for a 6 month old puppy varies with breed size and activity level. Estimations include Toy breeds – 250 calories, small breeds 635 calories, medium breeds 975 calories, large breeds 1875 calories and giant breeds 2800 calories.

Good Luck!

Bull Dogs are often over fed. Your dog definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food and exercise adjusted to its individual needs. Here is a link to a good illustrated guide, www.longliveyourdog.com

At 6 months, his growth should be slowing and you may actually need to cut back a little.

Kazba

At six months he is still growing and filling out so he may be burning as much energy as he takes in. He may look thin until he completely matures. Two cups twice a day seems alot so I would watch to make sure he is not getting to fat. I do wish you the best of luck with your young puppy.

Kazba answered on 11/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's not as much how much to feed him but WHAT you are feeding him. Being a large breed dog he should be eating a quality large breed puppy food. These are formulated for rapidly growing, large breeds, and provide the correct mix of nutrients without too many calories.
My 6 month old lab puppies were eating between three and four cups of large breed puppy food twice a day during their most rapid growth period. Most of them still looked thin. Adult "bulk" is muscle mass, which comes with maturity and maturity will change the whole body type and it doesn't usually occur until he is 16 to 18 months old or even later.

American bulldog feeding and care: you may want to visit this site for more help on feeding choices. Love the photo of your Ricco.
Please visit here:
Dog food experts
www.allexperts.com

Maverick

It depends on so many factors. Go by the back of the food bag as a guideline. You should adjust from there depending on if he is gaining or losing weight. If you are feeding a premium food he will eat less. I recommend looking at Ultra. They believe in putting pets first by using natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals. They believe natural foods are healthier, fresher, safer and tastier!
Check out their website at:
www.ultraholistic.com

Maverick answered on 12/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I recommend feeding him 3 times a day (once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once in the evening. 2 cups in the morning, 1 cup in the afternoon and 1 cup in the evening). I do recommend you to feed him a high quality food such as Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen or Sojos.