How much should dogs sleep

What's the opinion out there on the amount a dog should be sleeping. I have a 2 yr old large breed dog. He is very active, but unfortunately he doesn't have much room to roam out back. My backyard is tiny so I walk him many times a day and one of his walks is for 45 minutes. the other walks are from 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.
I've heard that dogs sleep up to 16 hours a days. I feel really guilty that he doesn't have a large backyard to run around in, so I try to make up for it with lots of walks every day. He sleeps through most of the day while I'm at work. A dog walker comes in the middle of the day to give him a mid day walk and in between all the other walks, he's asleep.
I feel guilty because I don't feel like he's being stimulated enough and I feel like he's sleeping his life away. On the weekends I try to mix it up and get him out some place different to run around. I'm just wondering if it's normal for dogs to sleep for most of the day.

Asked by Member 768404 on Jan 16th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Miss Buddie

It's really normal. Mine do the same thing and they have each other to play with during the day while I'm gone.

We have a joke at our house about who's in charge. WE go to work and school everyday while the animals are at home napping in cozy beds. Not a hard thing to figure out, huh? LOL

Miss Buddie answered on 1/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Its definitely normal for dogs to sleep. A lot!
My dog gets a 2 mile walk in the morning and a 2, 4 or 8 mile run in the evening and is soundly sleeping nearly all the rest of the day!
Yes, its good for dogs to be stimulated but they do need a lot of sleep.
As long as he's ready to go when you want to go out and play when he wants to, then he's perfectly happy and stimulated enough.
Dogs that aren't stimulated enough, usually get more hyper and start destructively chewing themselves and other stuff, not sleeping.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

you dont want to over work him that might be why hes sleeping so much so i would give him or her a walk at night and when you wake up when its still cool that way he doesnt overheat.

♥Tiffy♥

Completely normal! My Tiffy sleeps for 8-9 hours during the day while we are at work. My mom gets home around 3:45 and she is let out of the kennel (or crate). On days when my mom doesn't come straight home, I will get home at 5:00. During the week on days she does go in the kennel, her kennel time is around 9:00. And she is in there until 5:00 in the morning. Tiffy gets more than enough excersise. no matter how much excercise she gets, she is always extra extra hyper and sometimes she just needs her "down" time because she is an attention hog. (sorry I'm babbling) But long story short, dogs can not get too much sleep.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 1/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is definitely normal. And, in regards to one of the posters, I don't believe that you are over-working your dog. If you don't have a large space in your yard for him to roam around in, you are doing right by your dog by taking him on several walks daily.

My dogs sleep all night with us, then go walking in the morning before we go to work. They do sleep while we are gone, and then get another walk (or sometimes run) in the evenings. On the weekends, we go hiking and running and swimming (when the weather allows) and they have all day to run around the house and yard if they wanted to, but they really just sleep, for the most part.

Making sure your dog has enough exercise is very important, and I believe that you are doing that. Dogs sleep a lot and in your situation, this is very normal.

Jet

This is completely normal! Jet sleeps when I'm out of the house, and barley sleeps at all at night!!!! Is there a dog park, beach, or any other dog allowed place in your area? If so, take your dog there on the weekends or during your extra time! You are already doing a great job taking him on many walks like a responsible owner should, but if there is not a dog park, beach, etc., then you could walk him elsewhere so he gets a lot of sights, sounds, and stimulating smells. Is there an outdoor coffee house, or strip mall you could go to? If not, a simple walk in a friend's neighborhood with them and their dogs are great, too! Any place to go will be fun for your dog as long as he gets enough exercise, stimulation, and quality time with you.
When you are gone at work, you can get him a food dispensing toy such as a KONG( look on www.petsmart.com or go to your local pet supply store).
If you and your dog are active, you can try a doggie sport like obidence, agility, rally, etc.

Jet answered on 1/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Andy

I think it is normal. Your dog get more exercise than mine. My 60 pound mutt sleeps an awful lot, but I notice that when we are home in the evening he just wants to play with us. I jut think they need their beauty sleep. He has toys and lot of things to do, but I think he just want to save it up to when we off work or home from school So don't worry, sound like you are a great caretaker for Him!!1 - Andy's Mom.

Andy answered on 1/16/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer