How much should a Chiweenie puppy cost to purchase?

Asked by Member 860336 on Jul 24th 2009 in Breeds

Answers

Lexie

You can find mixed breeds in shelters cost to adoped is $75 were I live. Try petfinder.com

Lexie answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Princess

Hey! I'm a chiweenie! Chiweenie's rock!
My mommy found me all alone in the snow. So she took me. I was free! They cost like 50-200 dollars
Hope this helps!
Princess, the lovable chihuahua

Princess answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Please don't buy a mixed breed. We are slaughtering millions of dogs a year for lack of homes, many of mixed breeds, even ones somebody paid a big price for a ''Designer Breed'' As above, Petfinders is good. Also, many breed rescues have crosses too.

One of the best sources for dogs with a predictable personality is the rescue dogs. These are dogs that lost their home, but were taken into a foster home to be retrained as necessary and placed in the right home for them. You may find a rescue near you starting at www.akc.org The rescues charge a fee to help cover their expenses, but is much less than the price of a puppy plus all its medical expenses the first year.

Katie

Hi there!

They really shouldn't cost much, since they are not purebred dogs. If you are thinking of purchasing a puppy from a pet store or on-line, please think again. The odds are that every adorable face you see came from an abused, miserable mother in a warehouse or back yard somewhere, and was probably not given room to run, play, or socialize. Most pet store dogs come from truly horrible situations, and are cleaned up for the window (or website) and given a high price tag. Don't contribute to this system by purchasing a puppy whose parents you haven't met.

As the other answers suggested, you should be able to adopt a homeless dog for less than $100, depending on where you live. Check out your local shelters and let the workers know the age and characteristics you're looking for. You will save a life, and have a grateful, happy dog in return!

Katie answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Go to www.petfinder.com & you should be able to find a dog of that mix from around 100.00 to around 275.00
Please don't purchase a mixed breed dog from a breeder or pet store...These are not reputably bred dogs!

Zack

The others are correct. Anyone who tries to tell you the puppies are worth more than a reasonable rehoming fee to cover the costs they have already paid such as worming, shots, spaying/neutering, etc. is probably just trying to take advantage of you so they can make a quick buck.

A "Chiweenie" is just a fancy name for Chihuahua/Dachshund mix. There are more than 9,000 homeless Chihuahuas (and mixes) and more than 4,000 homeless Dachshunds (and mixes) on Petfinder.com, all of which are available for a reasonable adoption fee from a rescue or shelter. I would start there.

Please do your research on puppy mills, backyard breeders, the staggering number of homeless intentionally bred mutts, and the ethics involved in breeding before choosing to purchase a mixed breed dog from a "breeder" or pet store.

Zack answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You could find a dog of the exact same mix for much cheaper on petfinder.com than at any puppy-mill-supporting pet store or so-called breeder. (Responsible breeding is about keeping the *breed* healthy and consistent, not producing cute mixes with adorable names for money just because it's the latest trend.)

Hmm... I'd say free or very very cheap. I certainly wouldn't pay hundreds for a mixed breed, and I sure as heck wouldn't be caught dead supporting the BYB or puppymill that bred it.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I bought my chiweenie at my local humane society for 150 bucks...I really really don't suggest buying a chiweenie from from a pet store or breeder, there are so many available for adoption!