How much shold a 5 month old pitbull eat?

MIne is a 5 month old red nose male he eats like 3 cups a day

Asked by Member 645900 on Jun 23rd 2008 in Puppies

Answers

"Red nose Pit Bull" isn't a breed. Unless I'm mistaken, it's a line of Pit Bulls started by a breeder. (I've heard references here and there from Pit Bull fanciers to the old "Red nose family" line, so it's just a guess.)
Follow the gudielines on the dog food bag (if they have age guidelines), but feed slightly less than what the guidelines say. The dog food companies will usually encourage eating a little more than is needed to make more money.

Lily

My Canidae bag says 2 to 4 cups for a 25-50 pound pup. The real answer is as much as he wants, 4 times a day until 6 months then 3 times a day until he is a year old. It sounds like he is eating about the right amount, depending on his size. BTW, I have always found dog food bags to be very accurate right to the 1/4 cup.

Canidae is high calorie,so you feed a little less. So maybe 3 1/2 cups for a 35-40 pounder for most foods.

Lily answered on 6/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have heard you should feed your puppy the ideal amount of food it would eat at the weight of it's adult size, maybe even a little more. That is how I feed Larka and it seems to be working so far.

Ask your vet if you are not sure, she knows what is best.