how much home made food should i feed my dog

Asked by Member 604785 on Mar 8th 2008 in Homemade Food

Answers

Well, I don't know anything much about homemade feeding, but it depends on much your dog weighs, his personal nutritional needs, and how much exercise he gets.

Lady

More information is needed to properly answer your question. Homemade can mean many different things. I feed a raw diet to my dogs. Some call that homemade. Some people cook regular meat and give it to there dogs - that would also be homemade. If you cook don't use a lot of oils or extra fat. I would suggest only searing the outside of the meat so your dog gets the most nutritional value out of what you are feeding.
Basic rule of thumb: feed between 2-4% of your dogs total body weight a day. You have to just start trying and adjust as you go - more or less. You need to further break down that number into this:
Raw Meaty bones (bones are vital to the diet - uncooked bones with meat on them): should make up about 60% of the daily total
Muscle Meat: should make up about 35% of daily total
Organ Meat: should make up about 5% of daily total
You can add supplements like fish oil and vitamin E that helps with skin/coat. Also, Yogurt or Probiotics help aid in digestion health.
PM me for more

Lady answered on 3/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer