How much and how often should you feed a 8-9 week old puppy?

Asked by Member 1124935 on Aug 10th 2012 in Puppies

Answers

Lady

Depending on the size of the breed, puppies are usually fed 3 times a day. I would offer 1/2 cup three times a day. If you are not planning to free-feed, leave the kibble out for 15 minutes and after that time take the bowl away. At around 4-5 months you can decrease to twice a day. I have an 11 lbs 6month old puppy and I now feed her 1/2 cup twice a day. Your dog food package will also have instructions. Keep in mind that with lower quality kibble, your dog may be more hungry throughout the day and may also develop coat or eye problems - so buy the most expensive kibble you can afford from a speciality pet store. Generally dog food at stores like petsmart is not very healthy. I like Fromm Puppy gold mixed with Fromm grain free tunalini.

Lady answered on 8/10/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Lady. In order to realize the capacity of your puppy to eat, you can place the bowl filled with kibbles and let your puppy eat for 10-15 minutes, by that time your pup's stomach will be full. In the 8th week feed him 4 times in a day and slowly reduce it to 3 times a day in the 9th week, continue feeding him thrice a day until he turns 6 month old.