Mochi

How many sets of shots before you let your puppy walk around.

I just called PetSmart and they told me that a puppy can start puppy classes after the second set of shots, which would be 11weeks in Mochi's case. But that's odd to me since I've always thought that puppy's needed to be completely vaccinated (including rabbies) before they go into a public place, especially a high traffic location like petsmart.

I wonder if it is more to generate $$ faster for petsmart or is it legitmately safe to take the puppy in after 2 sets of shots.. and if the later is the case, can I take her out to public parks also for walks?

Second question are their 3 sets of shots or 4 sets of shots? I'm in california.

Asked by Mochi on May 8th 2009 in Vaccinations

Best Answer

I wouldn't take a young puppy to class at Petsmart. The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. This link has some good ideas on safely socializing young puppies, www.apdt.com

After 12 weeks, they may or may not still be vulnerable to parvo, but they are much less accepting of new things. To better understand the dangers of parvo, see www.avma.org

Aster answered on May 8th.

Answers

shots and puppy classes - Well, some places do say that after the 2nd set it is fine to take classes ( and if you have had 2 wormings...)
I like to wait until they are 12 weeks to 15 weeks. But, there will sure be many 10 week old kids in the classes.
As for public parks - well - the dogs there may or may not have had the vaccines and wormers...Right? So, at least a the puppy class you know everyone has had a certain amount of vet care.

Making sure you baby is on a good quality food and supplement will help them to fight off any illness they may come in contact with.
Here is more help:

Dog food choices and care:
en.allexperts.com