Miklo

How many litters can a female dog have?

Asked by Miklo on May 1st 2009 in Pregnancy

Answers

WHAT!?! Why? Are you planning on breeding? Or do you just want to know? I really hope you just want to know...

Daisy Grace and Precious

A dog should only have 1 litter a year until the time she is about 6 years of age. If a dog has them after 6 years of age the puppies have a lower survivor rate. Plus those puppies have a better chance of having health issues.

It's not good for the mother either if you force her to have more than 1 litter a year. The average female dog goes into heat twice a year, but they do not recommend you have the dog bred twice during the year. There is usually 6-7 months between the heat season of dogs.

The average young dog goes into her first heat between the ages of 5 months to 12 months of age. (Some of the larger breeds do not go into their first heat until 2 years of age.) It is not recommended you breed a young dog until they have reach 1 year of age because a young dog is not fully developed. She is still a puppy herself, and normally not mature enough to take care of her puppies the way she should if you wait until she is older.

Daisy Grace and Precious answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

00000000000000
ZERO
all dogs should be spayed or neutered at the age of 6 months.
9 million animals were put to sleep last year due to over population.
DO THE RIGHT THING AND HAVE THE DOG FIXED.
Imagine one of the pups your dog has sitting in the pound waiting for a home and its las day comes and no one wants it, then it take that last walk down the hall to the gas chamber.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Daisy gave a good answer, except I disagree with her on the minimum age that a dog should be bred. TWO years, not one. This is mainly because the OFA test cannot be done until this age, but also because a dog is not fully mentally and physically developed until then.
How many litters *can* a female dog have? One for every year, they'd be capable of having one or two for every year of their life...if they survived that long being bred repeatedly like that. Breeding is very hard on the dog, and I've gathered that it takes a few months to recover from having a litter.

How many litters *should* a breeding-quality, fully-genetically-health-tested dog have? No more than 5, but less is more than fine.
How many litters should most dogs have? None.

As a responsible breeder I would say not more than 5 but around 3 is best. I would really love to see less hating on this website. AKC registered breeders who not only take the time to register but screen buyers, and take all necessary precautions to make sure that their puppies go to good homes do not contribute to the population of dogs at the pound. My customers who pay over $ 1,000 for my solid dobermans are not going to be bringing them to no pound and even if something came up, there's such a thing as buyer-breeder contract. In my history only one person couldn't keep their puppy and I found it another home. So please, stop hating on people who run a professional and authentic business.

PEOPLE!? There are other reasons for asking this question besides just wanting to know or getting ready to become a backyard breeder! Calm down! People getting ready to become backyard breeders wouldn't care about this and wouldn't ask the question!! Perhaps the question is being asked as part of the process of researching a breeder or breeders and wanting to find out how legitimate/ethical/knowledgable they are. I would ask a breeder how many litters the dog had previously had and would want to know what a proper number would be! I didnt know the answer. Have a friend looking for a dog right now. Thought it was a good question for them to ask the breeders!